Synchronize or Duplicate

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

brucec

Synchronize or Duplicate

Post by brucec »

I have a folder (a) with hundreds of files, which I update. I have another folder (b) with some files from (a) which I send out as updates. As I send out newer updates I want to synchronise or duplicate from a to b. The problem with synchronise (a) highlights files not present in (b). No good creating a scrap container as it takes ages to delete hundreds of highlighted files I don't want to copy. No good duplicating as I want to copy duplicate files from (a) to (b) showing dual panes. What's the really easy way? The manual is no help for my specific situation. Or how about an adittion to the synch wizard that only shows duplicated files between panes. Help! - Brucec
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

To hide the extra items from (b), try this before synchronizing:

1. Press CTRL+F9.
2. Put a tick in "Identical" checkbox in "Select items that are-" section. Clear the rest.
3. Select the "by name" radio button in "Comparison based on" section.
3. Press OK. x2 will highlight only those files which are present (as detected by filenames; not contents) in both panes.
4. Switch to (a). Press CTRL+ALT+J. Only the selected files will be visible now. In other words, x2 hides those files which are not there in (b) at all.

Now press F9 to synchronize.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

nice one!
perhaps an easier alternative would be this:
* select all files in (b) and put them in the selection clipboard (ctrl+f11)
* do a normal f9
* switch to pane (a) and do a shift+f11 (combine selection with "clipboard")
* sorted!
brucec

Re: Synchronize or Duplicate

Post by brucec »

Thanks guys - I'll try them both and let you know what happens - brucec :D
JRz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JRz »

Of course, both solutions presented are very neat ways to use X² to solve your problem :)

But could try a tool which fits your problem like a glove (maybe you have more synchronising to do and then this is a must have!!)
Look at http://www.fileware.com for FileSync. This enables you to do exactly what you want and save the settings so renewend comparisons (and synchronisation) is a breeze...
This is a specialied tool (also shareware) which is specifically designed to do folder by folder comparison and synchronisation.

Nothing beats X² though ;)
Dumb questions are the ones that are never asked :turn:
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

Oh I forgot this:

Step 4 will leave all files highlighted in both (a) and some fles in (b). The latter doesn't matter; but you must unselect all files in (a) by pressing ALT+A.

Only after that press F9.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

fileware? just seeing the snapshot of that syncronization gave me a headache. I bet its manual is thicker than x2's ;)
JRz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JRz »

nikos wrote:fileware? just seeing the snapshot of that syncronization gave me a headache. I bet its manual is thicker than x2's ;)
I think your headache is the result of the Greek team getting through to the semi final on the European Championship Soccer :) (they may even end up playing the final against the Dutch :eh: )

As I said, it's a specialized tool for synchronizing folder structures. It's not as difficult to use as the screenshot seems to indicate. But it is very powerful and virtually everything you can think of when synchronizing is possible (e.g. compare only files on both paths - which is what brucec is after, only orphans, excluding folders, and so on...)
You really should check it out. Might give you some idea's for ;)
vserghi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by vserghi »

I've just checked out the fileSync program from that site. Now that is a very nice app. :D .Nice one JRz.

Shame it hasn't got any command line options though.
Vas
JRz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JRz »

vserghi wrote:I've just checked out the fileSync program from that site. Now that is a very nice app. :D .Nice one JRz.

Shame it hasn't got any command line options though.
You mean for comparisons from the command prompt?? FileSync has a sibling named CmdSync for use from a Command Prompt. Maybe that will do the trick for you ;)

But you can also make your compariosn from FileSync and save that in a profile. You can then load this profile from the command line using FileSYnc too (not sure; never needed/done that, but I believe it can be done)
[Edit:add]If you have the option ' compare on profile load' turned on it will do comparison upon opening the profile directly :)[/Edit]
brucec

Re: Synchronize or Duplicate

Post by brucec »

[quote="brucec"]Thanks guys - I'll try them both and let you know what happens - brucec :D[/quote]

Have tried both methods and both successful. Thank you. Only trouble Nikos is that your way is done transparently, and is a little scarey, as you are not sure till you go and check that it actually did anything. Is there such a thing as too quick and quiet! - Brucec
vserghi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by vserghi »

I have the "compare on profile load" turned on in the options anyway. I did as you suggested and d-clicked on the profile I saved, and sure enough it did what I wanted it to do.

Very nice, excellent. Thanks. :D
Vas
JRz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JRz »

You're welcome :)
chp
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by chp »

It would be cool if current Customize\User Commands...
- would support multiple commands (not via && for 2K/XP)
- would have something like a record/playback for "series of simple shortcuts' (no dialogs, but it could run next shortcut on current's finish)
- would have a simple build in script language to use (almost) all x2 menu/shortcut functions with given parameters :)

It's too much, I know ;)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

there are some programs that can do simple scripting by sending keys & clicks to programs

as for making x2 scriptable, perhaps in version 10 or 20 :)