Cannot delete current folder

Support for xplorer² free lite version

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

groggsby

Cannot delete current folder

Post by groggsby »

Hello,

I find that xplorer2 lite v1.0.0.2 holds a folder open, if it is displayed in the viewing pane - even if you attempt to delete it. This causes it to hang for a few seconds, then give the standard windows error claiming the folder to be in use.

I am surprised i have not seen anyone else experiencing this. Am I doing something odd, or is this behaviour odd?

BTW, like everyone else here - i think it's a wonderful program.

Cheers,
Robert.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

groggsby

Post by groggsby »

I apologise for the duplication: I did not look in the professional forum.

May I suggest that the behaviour of xplorer2 only be such that it releases the directory when the user requests it to be deleted. I am not so worried about it holding it open from external programs - in fact this behaviour has some merit.

When you try to delete a folder from within xplorer2 itself, it should be capable of releasing it immediately.

I will cover this post with the acknowledgement that back-seat programming is annoying (I am also a developer), and also that this suggestion may already have been considered. If so, sorry.

Cheers,
Robert.
ckit
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by ckit »

Heres an idea:

Open Process Explorer (www.sysinternals.com)
Find Handle
Type in File or Folder
Find out what is locked on to it and kill just that entry of the thread
Now go delete your file or folder.

I used this method to delete a locked PNG file which Firefox had locked on to but I soon fixed that :)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

groggsby, the new 1003 has this registry tweak flag called GIOPT_NOSETCURDIR (see registry.txt) that minimizes locking, albeit at the expense of command line execution conveniences