Subfolder Size in Icon View Modes

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

longfellow
Silver Member
Silver Member

Subfolder Size in Icon View Modes

Post by longfellow »

OK, I'm viewing in Large Icons (as opposed to Details). The cursor is on a highlighted folder in the active pane. I hit Ctrl-D to see subfolder info; I get a message encouraging me to use Details mode. Then I have to move the cursor before the subfolder size kicks in and info shows up in the status bar.

Why is this?

(BTW, I know F12 will get me a big, dumb property box with this info immediatly, I just prefer to view it in x2's sleek status bar. :) )
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

With the current implementation, Ctrl+D has meaning only in Details View, where the subfolder sizes are displayed in the Size column of the active folder pane.

[edit/correction above per comments in below posts]
Last edited by fgagnon on 2004 Aug 16, 19:01, edited 1 time in total.
longfellow
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by longfellow »

Thanks, but I'm not sure what you mean when you say
... Ctrl+D has meaning only in Details View, where there is a place to display the subfolder sizes...
x2 does have a place to display subfolder sizes in Icons View; it displays them quite nicely in the status bar. What I am curious about is why it's necessary to move the cursor before this information is shown.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

sorry ... I didn't think out the implications of my wording.
Correct that to be simply
"the Size column in the active folder pane"

And, because I use details mode 99% of the time, I didn't recognize that the size DOES show up in the statusbar in other than details view, but only after you move the selection. (So now I see there IS some meaning for Ctrl+D in other than Details mode.) Maybe the "need to move the focus" is a quirk nikos can address in a future update.
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

I think the point LF is making is, when the pane style is changed, the focus on the item is somehow lost. (That is, the item is still highlighted, but the CTRL+D command does not work on it till the user refocuses on the item by moving the mouse away first and then re-selecting the item once again).

LF, this is a known issue, documented in the User Manual (in v1.0.0.3). In fact, you will see this behavior even when the folder pane ia already in Details mode when you issue CTRL+D command.

You just felt that this problem is somehow related to the folder pane's display mode. It is not.

A work-around:
If you have already selected a complex selection in the folder pane, and if you want to see its total size, use ALT+CTRL+J first: that will hide the non-selected items. (Otherwise you might not be able to make exactly the same selection again!)

CTRL+D has a unique benefit which is not available in ALT+D command: folders are treated like files so far as the size column is concerned (in sorting and also in displaying the total size os a randomly made selection in the Status Bar).
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

"feature"!
one of these things that sound simple but would be extremely difficult if not impossible to fix
a quick hit of up/down keys will sort it out
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

That's only if your selection consists of a single item: if you have selected more than one items, use the trick I suggested.
longfellow
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by longfellow »

Thanks all for satisfying my curiosity regarding this quirk... er, I mean feature. :)

narayan, thanks for the Ctrl+Alt+J tip: very handy! Also, I see I must update my docs: I still have v1.0.0.1 (!) (BTW, docs are great! Kudos!)
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

Another tip: The best way to download the latest User Manual is to delete your existing User Manual (pdf) file and then press F1 in x2. It will guide you in getting the latest version.

Now open the file and look at the end: there is a table that lists all the changes in the latest version. If you have read the earlier version, then you need to look at these changed points only.

Click on the page number to jump to the relevant topic in the manual (the page numbers are hyperlinked). User Acrobat Reader's "Back" arrow to come back to the table.

But note that the manual contains a lot of other changes (mainly rephrasing to make the meaning clearer) which are not listed in the table; the guideline being that if the user is not affected, such change would not be listed.

So, if you did not understand some points in the earlier version, then chances are that you will get the meaning in this version.
Lokiman

Post by Lokiman »

Wow - great info, narayan.

It also prompted me to get the manual for the first time.
I can't imagine how long it took to put that together.
Great thanks to nikos and those that helped on it, it is *terrific*.