Feature suggestion: Preview pane plugins

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Whitman

Feature suggestion: Preview pane plugins

Post by Whitman »

As per the topic, preview pane plugins. What I mean by this is create a plugin system to allow other developers to create plugins which can be used to preview files in the preview pane.
For example, right now the media preview is limited to the windows media player interface and file types that windows media player supports. With plugin support this would be interchangeable so that another media player could be used and could support other file types.
Another example could be syntax highlighting. Right now if I select a .cpp file, it's a text file so it gets displayed as normal text, but a plugin could perform syntax highlighting.

Something to think about :)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

in a way, the image previewer is already open since people can write their image extractor shell extensions for custom file formats and x2 will pick them

the media player and text viewer though are monolithic
Whitman

Post by Whitman »

nikos wrote:the media player and text viewer though are monolithic
And therein lies a good reason to make this sort of thing into plugins. I never use the media previewer, yet it is still loaded when browsing my music and videos. If this were a plugin I could remove it and x2 would then be lighter.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

one day i'll have enough money to hire a battery of far eastern programmers to do plugins and all sorts of things :)

not any time soon though!