FTP handling needs improvement

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

wusch

FTP handling needs improvement

Post by wusch »

Hello,

this morning I bought xplorer2 which is definitively a help to my daily work. What leaves a bitter taste for me is the ftp integration, which (as the underlaying MS ftp) is more or less rudimental.

I read the FAQ wrt FTP where the major issues are listed, but a solution for them, from a users point of view, is still missing (where the exposure of passwords in the main view is not acceptable).

Could you please investigate if there is a chance to replace current solution by some other library. There are several drawbacks of the MS implementation, which def. sucks. Especially if you want to change working directory on the ftp server to directories which are not subdirs to login location.

Cheers, Erik.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

ftp performance

Post by fgagnon »

As you mention, and as described in the docs & FAQs, x2 is definitely not a robust ftp engine (nor was it designed to be one).
Being principally a file manager for the shell namespace, the rudimentary ftp thing was included only as a convenience because it already exists in IE, and could be 'called' from x2.
Perhaps if there are many folks who find a robust ftp capability to be useful, nikos can address improvements in the future. However, there are likely many higher priority items in the development queue, so I think it will be quite a while before we see improvements to the ftp feature.

At this time, if you need robust ftp performance, the best thing to do is to use a dedicated ftp app. :shrug: