xplorer2 and microsoft briefcase

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

nealeh

xplorer2 and microsoft briefcase

Post by nealeh »

I use the microsoft briefcase feature a lot to manage files between different sites and computers.

If I open a briefcase file with ms-explorer, I can see the sync copy source directory and the status of the file (e.g. up to date / orphan). I can choose which versions to synchronize from that view.

If I open the briefcase with xplorer2, the briefcase is treated as though it was an ordinary folder.

In the same way that xplorer2 recognises some special folder structures(e.g. control panel) can it do so for Briefcases?
Cheers,
--
Neale
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

As far as xplorer2 can tell, briefcase folders are ordinary folders.
Although they DO contain a hidden database file which keeps track of the sync status of the contents and the location of the "original" for each file ... and there must be a special briefcase type flag somewhere.
But I couldn't find it in the registry. :shrug:
The handling of the database and sync status seems to be not generic with the shell namespace, but an extended feature of WinExplorer.

xplorer2 does not have that feature (at least not yet).

If there are a lot of windows briefcase users out there who make themselves known in these forums, maybe nikos would consider extending x2 to handle "briefcases", too. But it will be a while ... and he is on vacation until October, so patience is in order even to hear if he will put this issue on the "to do" list. ;)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

briefcase cannot be read from x2
but x2 has a range of synchronization commands (F9 etc) that work much better than briefcase and you can keep your documents synchronized