Folder Guard

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

VaMPiRiC_CRoW

Folder Guard

Post by VaMPiRiC_CRoW »

Hi nikos,

I use the Folder Guard, and this program have an option to prompt the password when we try to open a locked folder. This option doesn't work on xplorer2 :(

with xplorer2:

with Windows Explorer:

Can you make support for that?

Thanks
WinXP Pro SP2
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Have you tried adding xplorer2 to the list of trusted programs ?
VaMPiRiC_CRoW

Post by VaMPiRiC_CRoW »

Hi fgagnon,

I cannot add the xplorer2 to the "Trusted Programs" because this list is to pass the protection of the Folder Guard...
WinXP Pro SP2
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

But did you try? ... and see whether that list (or another setting) would permit passing the protection queries to running apps like x2 that need to access the namespace shell?

It seems to me that your question has to do mostly with FG and its interoperability settings. It should be FG that is responsible for this and FG that would (or should) have settings to permit operation with other apps. I would investigate that avenue thoroughly before trying to have x2 figure out out how to work with the non-standard FG. :shrug:

PS: I only responded to your question because nikos said he would be on vacation until October (although he did pop in to the board over night), and I thought you might appreciate some kind of response before then.
VaMPiRiC_CRoW

Post by VaMPiRiC_CRoW »

Yes, I tried, but if I add the xplorer to that list, I don't have any protection made by Folder Guard...

I don't know if this should be a problem of Folder Guard, so maybe nikos can say something about this...

Thanks for your support ;)
WinXP Pro SP2
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the only way you'd make me think about this is if you found another file manager (not explorer!) that works with this tool -- which i've never heard of ;)
VaMPiRiC_CRoW

Post by VaMPiRiC_CRoW »

nikos wrote:the only way you'd make me think about this is if you found another file manager (not explorer!) that works with this tool -- which i've never heard of ;)
OK... :(
WinXP Pro SP2
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Folder Guard

Post by Robert2 »

VaMPiRiC_CRoW wrote:Hi nikos,

I use the Folder Guard, and this program have an option to prompt the password when we try to open a locked folder. This option doesn't work on xplorer2 :(
Greetings--
Here is from the Folder Guard User's Guide at http://www.winability.com/folderguard/u ... ection.htm:
"Note that the password prompt is displayed only when you attempt to open the protected folder via Windows Explorer, or via the Open/Save As dialog boxes. If you use some other means of opening a folder, such as via a shortcut, or via some other program, an Access denied or similar message would be displayed instead of the password prompt."
As I understand this, the incompatibility of Folder Guard with third-party file managers is by design.
VaMPiRiC_CRoW

Post by VaMPiRiC_CRoW »

Thanks for your info, Robert2 :wink:
WinXP Pro SP2