Copy names : only one order

Support for xplorer² free lite version

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Nanaimo

Copy names : only one order

Post by Nanaimo »

>Edit >Copy names or Alt+C
copies the file names to the clipboard in a particular order, regardless of how you have those names ordered in the pane.

It would be useful sometimes to be able to determine the order (for example, a playlist).

Thanks, nikos, for a great program.
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

Good idea!

Nikos I think we discussed this some time ago...
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Well, it was acknowledged in the past (as an inconsistency); but not identified as an issue to be addressed.
I would certainly vote for copy names having the same order as displayed (like the present "Copy columns", vs. the present "unsorted" condition); but this only results in predefined sort orders.
However, with only a little extra user effort, the user could create any order he/she pleases by using the comments column to define the desired order, and then sorting on it. :)
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

Using comments column for sorting? That would necessitate attaching comments just for the sake of sorting once! (Actually, to tell you the truth, I didn't quite get that trick!)

I also didn't get this-
this only results in predefined sort orders.
Could you elaborate?

My focus is to have this in WYSIWYG form, because once we paste the clipboard contents in a text utility (e.g. MS Word, a PIM or Ed2), we can't sort it there. Taking a print from this external program also would produce a list that is not according to the user's need.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

predefined in the sense of only "ascending" or "descending' choices for a
View | Arrange by... election,
or Column heading click.

So, the only way I see to get complete user definable sort order freedom is to use the comments column and enter your own 2, 1, 4, 3, ...
then sort on comments, then copy columns (or copy names when that option becomes anything but unsorted)
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

But that is tedious work, because you can't use tokens in comments to generate complex "nested" sorting orders. Neither can you insert serialized numbers in comments.

All this would be possible only if (a) the comments field is freely editable (as Excel allows you to edit its sells directly) and (b) if the tokens work there..

(Not bad ideas, both) ;)

The only possible way is to use ALT+Z for each item and enter a number. But considering the effort involved, not worth pursuing! :(
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i don't know why alt+C doesn't follow the order, must be something i done ;)

but ctrl+P "prints" respecting order
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

Welcome back to the 21st Century!

Yes. That CTRL+P follows WYSIWYG was discussed already.

Can we have the same for ALT+C, so that printing in text utilities is more flexible?

(When we paste ALT+C in Excel, we can always sort it there, so that is not an issue. )
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i guess i should fix that one day...
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Indeed,
WELCOME BACK, Nikos :D

& yes, it would be good to fix someday (if only for consistency & the appearance of professionalism)

narayan wrote:The only possible way is to use ALT+Z for each item and enter a number. But considering the effort involved, not worth pursuing! :(
Yes, that's exactly what I meant by
... use the comments column and enter your own 2, 1, 4, 3, ...
(i just left out the fact that Alt+Z is the keycombo for entering comments.)

And, compared to any other way of specifying an arbitrary order, that's not a more difficult thing to do. It is equivalent effort as prefixing each filename with its desired sequence number, plus it has the advantage of leaving the filenames intact. In all cases, the user has to decide what comes next, item by item. :shock:
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

fred, You are absolutely right! Even in Excel, for user-defined sorting order, an additional column is inserted and numbers entered.

@random sorting:
Oh that's different: I didn't mean "arbitrary order" in the usual sense: I though you meant something like this:

Sort on path.
With this order, sort on name
Within this second sorting order, sort on date.

(Like how Excel allows First sort on.... Then sort on... type of dialog.)
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

I only tried to present the discussion in the context of the initial question, which was to define a playlist order. ;)