Cannot delete file: It is being used by another person

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Rob

Post by Rob »

First of all let me say, I love the program. I can't seem to get any work done for having fun playing with X2.

My problem is the error message I receive when I attempt to delete a file or folder; Cannot delete file: It is being used by another person blah..blah.

I have searched and found a great deal of discussion regarding this matter but I have not found the resolution. Perhaps it has been posted and I've failed to find it. I switch over to Windows Explorer when I need to delete files and folders.

Can someone please tell me the solution to this issue?

Many thanks in advance, Rob.

P.S. I really must resolve this matter because I'm still trying to justify to my wife spending my grandbaby's milk money for this program. (LOL)
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Well, there has really only been one other user with the problem in the last six months (that I found).
And, yes, we have not found out why it happened for that user (LuckMan212).
But he hasn't logged any further occurences after it was suggested he try to determine what process was holding the file. (JRz suggested using sysinternals' excellent handle 2.20 tool.)

I am quite sure that nikos would like to fix this problem.

Because this now seems to be a relatively rare occurence, could you please provide additional information about your OS and the file location(s) {i.e.: on HD, on zipdisk, in NetworkNeighborhood, etc}
It would be helpful (& as suggested to LuckMan212) if you would use handle to see what process has the file locked and report on what you find.
For how to use [u]handle 2.20[/u], JRz wrote:just use it from a command prompt and give part of the object name as parameter. For instance, part of the folder or filename you are trying to delete, but be specific enough, otherwise you'll get too much info about things you're not interested in. You'll get information about which process is getting a hold of that object.

Typing 'handle' without parameters will get you all handle info currently available.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

if it was just folders you had problems with, then x2 could be the culprit. But since you can't delete both files and folders the root of your troubles is most likely elsewhere, perpaps some shell extension you've installed
Rob

Post by Rob »

First, thank you guys for your responsiveness. The issue is no biggy.....I sure won't loose any sleep over it.

I did however take fgagnon's advice, I obtained "Handle" and "Process Explorer" while I was at it. I'll start tracking and keep notes on the culprit on my machine so perhaps sometime it may help someone else along the way.

One quick question, how do I get the smileys and other formatting options to work in these messages? When I put a smiley on it just shows a generic character. I did check "allow HTML" in my profile, however, I'm not able to turn it on when I get to these message dialogs. I'm not even sure if that has anything to do with it anyway........

Take care and I'll talk to you soon, Rob.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

to get smileys to display in your Bulletin Board view, it should be sufficient to check enable smilies in your profile. You might also have to check always allow BBcode.
I have them both checked (& always allow HTML, too) without experimenting with which does what. ;)