Program options | Window "Hilight primary sort column"

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

patlange

Program options | Window "Hilight primary sort column&q

Post by patlange »

I'm a new (registered!) user of xplorer2 [1.0.0.94 [Unicode] DBG]. I wanted to try out the option I mention in the subject line, but it's greyed out. I'm using XP Pro with Service Pack 2.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

you only need to copy the .manifest file from the 1.0.0.3 release into your beta directory and rename it to match the filename of the executable

So, for example, if you installed kenny_unicode.exe in the same directory folder as v.1.0.0.3 ...
Make a copy of "xplorer_UC.exe.manifest" and rename it to be: "kenny_unicode.exe.manifest"

Then exit xplorer² and restart.
That should do it.
patlange

Post by patlange »

oh boy, am I confused.

First off, the file I downloaded and installed was entitled 1.0.0.3, but ended up really being 1.0.0.94 [Unicode] DBG. OK. Didn't know it was a beta... And there's no .manifest file. So I went online to find a copy of 1.0.0.3 and eventually found one ... installed it separately from the version I already have. Still no .manifest file.

Give me a clue, please?
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

It sounds like you are not the only one who is confused -- possibly the host site did not understand the instructions for posting the beta, or somebody was just careless.
Can you please indicate which site/URL you downloaded your mis-named version 1.0.0.3 from?
{I will check what seems to be posted where in parallel}

--------------------
checkout result 20-Oct-2004 8:44 EDT, 21-Oct-2004 00:44 UT ...

The mirror1 and the mirror2 sites on the xplorer2 available downloads page are the real version 1.0.0.3
The product is packaged inside a simple installer and contains all necessary files.
& when I pecked my way through the simtel redirects, I found that it has the correct install file for 1.0.0.3 also.

For reference, the files in the 'package' that are copied for unicode option are:
Uninstall.exe
xplorer2_UC.exe
registry.txt
changes.txt
editor2_UC.exe
x2help.htm
Editor2.txt
x2tips.txt
x2tips.rtf
licence.txt
xplorer2_UC.exe.manifest
x2help.css
editor2_UC.exe.manifest
and:
snap <folder of graphics elements>
----------------------
So where did you get your files, patlange ???
---------------------
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

all the normal download buttons still list version 1003
the only way you can get the beta is through the "news" section
that is currently at build 1.0.0.95
patlange

Post by patlange »

Here's the story: A couple of weeks ago I saw xplorer2's description on the Betanews website and downloaded it from there. (duh. BETAnews. Sorry guys. It wasn't mislabeled as 1.0.0.3.)

After reading fgagnon's first reply, I attempted to download the desired version from Simtel, but for some reason I couldn't get any downloads to start; I just kept getting sent to an advertisement for Regfix or some such thing.

At that point I did a Google search and found multiple download listings for x2explorer, including version 0.7 (?) and 1.0.0.1, but not the one I wanted. It was at that point I read fgagnon's second reply which gave me a GOOD download link and everything was fine from there. Everything is working as expected now.

Thank you, fgagnon, for solving my problem. I apologize for stating that my original file was inaccurately labeled as 1.0.0.3 - it wasn't. I falsely ASSUMED that was what I had until I checked the "about" box in order to list the version prior to posting my original question.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

glad to help :)

PS: The simtel site (a low-budget service of Digital River) is notoriously erratic. :( You aren't the only one to have problems with them.