What happens when...

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

joeking

What happens when...

Post by joeking »

you create a directory in 1 pane then alt+c that directory and go to the other pane and paste that path into the address bar to get both panes with the same directory ... and if you select that same directory by pressing enter (to move into that folder) and then in the other pane with the folder selected try to rename the folder ... what happens to the other pane (which has the selected and entered folder) ... ?
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

The present design of x2 detects this as what I will call an "unexpected condition" and the affected pane is directed to the "desktop".

I do not know when/if nikos will re-evaluate the various "unexpected conditions" that wind up defaulting to the "desktop", and instead have x2 branch to something more intelligent for specific cases.
(like update foldername when foldername is changed in x2, or
go up a level & display a descriptive warning message (dwm) when folder is deleted in x2, or, more generally, go up n-levels & display a dwm when folder not found but parent(s) exist, etc... ).
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

you'll be pleasantly surprised with build .95, try it!
WimdeLange
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: What happens when...

Post by WimdeLange »

joeking wrote:you create a directory in 1 pane then alt+c that directory and go to the other pane and paste that path into the address bar to get both panes with the same directory ...
That sounds like a Control-I action to me :D> Why take the long way. The nice part of your message is, that I wasn't aware of this Alt-C option. I do a shift-Tab, Ctrl-C to get the same effect as an Alt-C.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

nikos wrote:you'll be pleasantly surprised with build .95, try it!
I am surprised that there is no change in behaviour: the inactive pane is still directed to the "Desktop" if it was in a folder which is subsequently renamed or deleted in the active pane.
{1.0.0.95 [Unicode] on XP2}
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

:confused:
is it something that changed with the (yet unreleased) .96 ?
anyway, watch this space since now x2 searches for the first available parent of the deceased folder
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

I was going to suggest in my prior post that you may have been thinking of a yet-to-be-released feature -- but then I thought that that's only something I would be confused about, not you. ;)
joeking

Post by joeking »

I was thinking about the behaviour of xplorer2, shouldn't, in my described case, the other pane become refreshed with the new name?
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Yes.
Your initial question was slightly different from what nikos claims he has fixed (in yet-to-be-released v96). But maybe "it's in there", for the renamed folder case, too -- updating the foldername vs. going up to its parent. ;)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

now .96 is out (see the website) you can check me on deletion!
also i fixed that thingy on XP where robust copy gave error=2 without due cause
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Now x2 inactive pane display goes up to parent [in beta96], when folder is deleted.
(good, & thanks :) )
When folder is renamed, x2 inactive pane display also goes up to parent; but it does show the correct new name for the (now) subfolder.
(better than jump to desktop, but not quite what joeking & others before had suggested)

The last error message
The folder was renamed or deleted; switching to desktop.
needs to be updated to be consistent with the new action.
The folder was renamed or deleted; switching to parent.