explorer.exe process looping

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

cswilly

explorer.exe process looping

Post by cswilly »

Time-to-time the "explorer.exe" process on my PC begins to use 100% of the CPU. It continues to do so until I exit xplorer2. When I do so, the "explorer.exe" process returns to normal. Any ideas?

I have been a user of xplorer2 for a long time--since the early betas (recently ponyed up for the pro version--nice). This misbehavior of the "explorer.exe" process was also in the beta versions.

thanks
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

all i can say is that i've never heard this one before
have you discovered any pattern?
cswilly

Post by cswilly »

Nothing sure in the way of a pattern.

It might have somthing to do with network mounts. I have a laptop, and it seems to happen when I move between home and work and leave some network mounts open in xplorer2. But this is not systematic.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

cswilly wrote: ... I move between home and work and leave some network mounts open in xplorer2. ...
{by network mounts, I assume you mean network destinations mapped as logical drives}

Please pay attention to conditions before when the problem occurs to distinguish from when it doesn't.
(like whether x2 had active or inactive pane displaying the NN drive, or neither).
& your unplug/disconnect/shutdown sequence
& what is your OS?
& type of network
& anything else you suspect might affect the situation.
cswilly

Post by cswilly »

fgagnon wrote: {by network mounts, I assume you mean network destinations mapped as logical drives}
I should have said network mounts (e.g. M:) and network locations (e.g. \\myFileServer\files). It happens in both cases.
fgagnon wrote: (like whether x2 had active or inactive pane displaying the NN drive, or neither).
This 'seems' to be the case. But it is not systematic. It happens with network mounts or network locations in a x2 pane. I normally have 4-5 panes open at the same time. I also use a virtual desktop. It might have something to do with switching desktops.
fgagnon wrote: & your unplug/disconnect/shutdown sequence
Seems to happen a long time (at least 30 mins) after restarting from hibernation mode.
fgagnon wrote: & what is your OS?
& type of network
Windows 2000. Wire Ethernet. The files servers are Windows 2000 and Linux Samba.

Thanks the replies.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Do you not 'logically disconnect' from NN locations & mounts, or exit from x2 before going into hibernation mode in preparation to physically disconnect from network/power etc?

or do you just 'hibernate' with live NN conections,
then pack up & go elsewhere ...
& turn back on w/o network connections and expect OS & x2 to figure out where they are now in cyberspace?
cswilly

Post by cswilly »

fgagnon wrote:Do you not 'logically disconnect' from NN locations & mounts, or exit from x2 before going into hibernation mode in preparation to physically disconnect from network/power etc?

or do you just 'hibernate' with live NN conections,
then pack up & go elsewhere ...
& turn back on w/o network connections and expect OS & x2 to figure out where they are now in cyberspace?
I do the latter. Just hibernate the machine, head for home, and unhibernate there. Certainly, the machine (and xplorer2) cannot find the "at work" connects. Generally, xplorer2 just takes a minute for the connections to time out then then all works as normal.

It is only time-to-time (maybe once or twice a week) when the explorer.exe process loops.

I was hoping somebody had the same problem earlier. I will continue to try to figure out how to reproduce the problem.

Again thanks for the support.