Tab Feature Requests

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Thracx
Silver Member
Silver Member

Tab Feature Requests

Post by Thracx »

I have been using the Lite version, but I noticed that the Pro version has Tabs - I am trying it, and it is great! Here are some features that I yearn for:
  • Tab-bar on Top: This is my most important feature request. I strongly dislike having the tab-bar located at the bottom of the pane - please allow us to place the tab-bar at the Top. If Zabkat impliments this simple option, I will purchase the Pro version, love Zabkat forever, and preach Zabkat Xplorer2 to everybody I meet!!!
    Tab Movement Ability: We should be able to use the mouse to click&drag tabs, simular to most Tabbed applications. I would suspect this is already on the list, since Tabs are new to xplorer2.
    Tab Switching Ability: This could be implimented many ways - I like how Avant Browser does it - simular to the Window's switch program shortcut, except using 'Ctrl + Tab'. While working in a Tab, one could quickly Ctrl + Tab to change to the next tab or Ctrl + Shift + Tab to change to the previous tab. Since xplorer2 is all about increasing productivity, the ability to switch tabs easily is essential.
    Tab Closing Ability: I'd like to be able to close tabs easily - Ctrl + F4 is too difficult to use, as it requires both hands. Again, I like features of Avant Browser - doubleClick'ing on a Tab deletes it (conversly, doubleClick'ing on empty tab-bar space could create a new tab!).
I understand that xplorer2 tabs are quite new, and I only expect these features to be implimented if they are popular (so if YOU want them, please voice your opinion!). The first request is all that I ask for now, since it would be simple to impliment and would make xplorer2 Pro my file management application of choice.
-Thracx

"Man wants to know, and when he ceases to do so, he is no longer a man."
-Fridtjof Nansen
Thracx
Silver Member
Silver Member

Tabs-on-Top Found

Post by Thracx »

Well, I read registry.txt and have found the option for Tabs-on-top. Sorry for jumping the gun...

*goes to the registration page*
-Thracx

-Fridtjof Nansen
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

@ Tab-bar on top - glad you found the registry tweak [DPF_TABSONTOP]

@ Tab Movement - It's only with r-click context menu for now

@ Tab Switching - other than mouse-click, use Ctrl+Alt+left/rightarrow

@ Tab Closing - if you'd rather not use Ctrl+F4 just click on the "x" at right side of the Tab-bar
Thracx
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Thracx »

fgagnon wrote:@ Tab-bar on top - glad you found the registry tweak [DPF_TABSONTOP]
yep
fgagnon wrote: @ Tab Movement - It's only with r-click context menu for now
yep - a bummer, but livable.
fgagnon wrote: @ Tab Switching - other than mouse-click, use Ctrl+Alt+left/rightarrow
Awesome. I'd still like the Ctrl + Tab ability, but that is definately a workaround for now (I should be able to use Girder to map Ctrl + Tab to the shortcut that xplorer likes - I'll post when/if I get that workaround working).
fgagnon wrote: @ Tab Closing - if you'd rather not use Ctrl+F4 just click on the "x" at right side of the Tab-bar
Luckily, I don't have much need for new/delete tabs - as of now, I have a fixed setup so this isn't a big issue. Putting it in the feature-request list would still be nice though, as it would then allow the option to remove the "x" and save screenspace (albiet a little screen space!).

I have one new request...
  • cmdLine Tab Options: According to the documentation, you can specify cmdLine arguments that tell xplorer2 what folder to use for the left & right pane - but not what tabs to open (only whether or not to open previous tabs). I like having one shortcut that simply launches xplorer2 into one consistant 'standard' state, regardless of my previous usage of xplorer2, and this is how it would be done. I suppose this could be done by a cmdLine argument to specify a saved Layout? Is this possible? *goes to check*
-Thracx

-Fridtjof Nansen
Thracx
Silver Member
Silver Member

cmdLine Tab Options - Follow-up / Workaround

Post by Thracx »

Although the cmdLine Tab Options feature I requested would still be nice (to have many shortcuts to different layouts), I have achieved what I wanted by setting xplorer2 up the way I want, saving, and then unchecking the "Save program state on exit) option.
-Thracx

-Fridtjof Nansen
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

yep -- That's the easy way to always launch your preferred state. :)

And if you have more than one preferred layout, save each layout by name -- Window | Save layout...

and launch x2 appending the layoutname to the commandline, e.g.:

"C:\Program files\zabkat\xplorer2\xplorer2_UC.exe" /S:layoutN

& of course you need to keep "save state on exit" UNchecked in any event.
Thracx
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Thracx »

fgagnon wrote:"C:\Program files\zabkat\xplorer2\xplorer2_UC.exe" /S:layoutN
Awesome. I only have one state right now, but I have only been using xplorer2 Pro for a few hours!

Thanks fgagnon - you've been a big help during my introduction to xplorer2, fixing/giving-pointers-to my problems. If you need anything, such as testing or the like, feel free to drop me a line.
-Thracx

-Fridtjof Nansen
kagaku

Post by kagaku »

At the very least there should be an option to close a tab in the tabs right click menu, but to be honest I think the ability to close via middle click or double click would be ideal. Most programs I know of that use tabs work in a similar fashion.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Thracx wrote: If you need anything, ...
we can always use another soul with positive attitude to help answer questions on the board.

But, as you are new to x2, probably the best thing you can do for now is to RTFM! (where the "F" stands for fabulous in this case) :D

Jump right in if you understand a user question & know a solution or where to find one ... the "old hands" are not always available for timely responses.

& constructive suggestions for x2 and User Manual improvement are always welcome.
Thracx
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Thracx »

fgagnon wrote:we can always use another soul with positive attitude to help answer questions on the board.
Of course, I'll try to be around every now and again.
fgagnon wrote:But, as you are new to x2, probably the best thing you can do for now is to RTFM! (where the "F" stands for fabulous in this case) :D
Hey now, I only jumped the gun on that first request/question! The rest of my requests weren't available, and merely have alternatives.
fgagnon wrote:...the "old hands" are....
Old hands? Exactly how old would 1000+ posts make you?
I bet you're probably still 30-something.. hehe
fgagnon wrote:...& constructive suggestions for x2 and ....
Oh, I'm good at this one.......
-Thracx

-Fridtjof Nansen
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

btw there's this new /T command line option if you don't want to restore tabs