CLSIDs and aliases

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

boyAfraid

CLSIDs and aliases

Post by boyAfraid »

hi nikos,
first of all, i want to thank you for making such a great piece of software. you really have something to be proud of here. i have been using the trial version of x2 for about 2 weeks now and it has already become my primary file manager. you've done a great job!

now, if i may be so bold, i have a suggestion/request. if this has been asked before, please enlighten me. if this is a ridiculous request, please straighten me.

my request is with respect to special folders, though, it could apply to anything. i thought that since nodes such as the control panel and network connections are accessed via their clsid's (see quote below), it might be nice to be able to create an alias for those nodes. in fact, you could even leverage the existing bookmark functionality. for example: i have created a bookmark called control panel which the address bar reveals as ::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\::{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}. what would be nice is if i could type into the address bar the name of the bookmark instead of the clsid/node. that way i could navigate around using bookmarks or aliases rather than windows path names.

i doubt i am the only one who would find this functionality useful. those of us with *nix backgrounds and, more to-the-point, those of us who are just plain lazy, could really benefit. combine that request with an ability to shift focus to the address bar using a keyboard shortcut, and i'll be in navigating heaven. :D

thank you again,
bA
nikos wrote:you can use the regular command line options to specify left/right folders using these special "pathnames":

my computer
::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}

control panel
::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\::{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}

network
::{208D2C60-3AEA-1069-A2D7-08002B30309D}

recycle bin
::{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}

these paths are taken from the CLSIDs of the com object that implements the namespace extensions. If you need any more of these weird paths just use xplorer² to navigate there and all will be revealed in its address bar
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

you can already use aliases, through environmental variables. So if you setup %CPANEL% to that ::{long clsid} then you only have to type %CPANEL% in the addressbar!

still the easiest would be to get a bookmark and assign a shortcut key to it with Bookmarks | Organize. Then you can go anywhere swiftly with much less typing

to get to the addressbar just use <shift+tab>
have a look at the tips & tricks file, you'll find tons of time saving details
chp
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by chp »

Nikos got it first, but I'll leave my 2cents anyway:

If you need to jump around without touching that rodent and remembering all that aliases, there is good ol trick:

- Create a folder (better in MyDocuments so it won't get lost if X2 is moved).
- Alt+Drop*  links to all folders you freqently use (including Control Panel) into it
- Create Bookmark with and easy shortcut, like Ctr+1

And now on, it will be a matter of Ctr+1 Co..  Enter
:)

If you need abit more, like using folders as target of you command line..  or have access to em in ScrapContainer or Console2, there is bunch of "alias making" tools (you'll be able to launch apps with it!) - http://weblogs.asp.net/robdelacruz/arch ... 18499.aspx
combine that request with an ability to shift focus to the address bar using a keyboard shortcut, and i'll be in navigating heaven
Ctr+Tab, isn't it? Beware of TAB, coz your command can be lost ;(

* Alt+Drop.. dohh, we need keyboard hotekey to make shortcuts!