xplorer2 lite find button

Support for xplorer² free lite version

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

madamimadam29

xplorer2 lite find button

Post by madamimadam29 »

[color=darkblue][/color]
Nothing happens when I click on the Find button or press Ctrl+F. No pop-up window to enter info, etc. Is this function deactivated in the Lite version.
All other functions are working.
In 2xexplorer in the menu I can go to Tools|Find Files and a pop-up window  allows for the search criteria.
Shall I uninstall including any registry entries and then make a clean reinstall. Any help would be appreciated.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

Bennu

Post by Bennu »

Hi I'm just trying to make x2 lite work and this is my first post.

I followed Nikos' advice and went to the FAQ but still don't understand how to apply this.
D2. I hate the default Windows Find command in the lite version

The "lite" version lacks the powerful find files command of the "pro" xplorer² and by default <Ctrl+F> will launch Windows Find dialog. If you don't like — or even don't have — this system service you can associate your favorite external find program, setting the registry value szExtFindFiles. See registry.txt for more details.
I don't have an external "find" program and was rather hoping that pressing Ctrl+F would open Windows Explorer and run its "Search" function, but nothing happens. Is this what the FAQ is referring to?

Maybe someone here would be kind enough to spell out in detail exactly what I need to do to start a Windows search when I press Ctrl+F. Thanks.

Running Windows 7, 32-bit.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i've just tried on my win7 with xplorer2 lite v2003 and ctrl+F works calling up windows search as it is supposed to do, so I don't know why it doesn't work for you!?
Bennu

Post by Bennu »

Thanks Nikos for replying, but I still can't understand your advice.

Yes, I'm using X2 lite 2.0.0.3. When I press Ctrl+F, nothing changes. Same when I click the Find Icon. I don't see anything happen. Where am I supposed to look for Windows Search? Where is the actual search window? I can't see anything.

Sorry if I appear dumb. I'm just really puzzled.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i didn't offer any advice, all i said is it works for me so i don't know why it doesn't work for you. You can try the xplorer2 professional that has a superior search engine, see here

www.zabkat.com/tour3.htm
Bennu

Post by Bennu »

Just tell me, does this feature in X2 lite depend on making it a Windows Explorer replacement? I don't think I did this when installing it; at least, the "Undo explorer replacement" option is greyed out in my X2 lite. Maybe that's the reason I can't get it to work?

Would you or someone else please explain what I should see and where I should see it when I press Ctrl+F? Thanks.

BTW, I followed the link in Nikos' last post and what I see is a "Find files or folders" window overlying a "Scrap container" window. Since scrap containers are a feature of X2 Pro, I don't think this applies to my version.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

No, this feature is not dependant upon using "replacement" mode.

When you press Ctrl-F in x2 Lite you should see exactly the same thing as happens when you press <WindowsKey> F.  If this does not happen (or, worse, nothing happens when you press <Windows> F) then I suspect you've been experimenting with multiple 3rd-party utilities which each purport to offer a better search facility and one of them has not uninstalled itself properly after claiming to "replace/enhance" Windows Search.  Or, perhaps, you've disabled it in general.  x2 Lite does not influence this behaviour in any way (nor does "replacement mode") and so is not responsible for this, and nor can it fix it.

If, on the other hand, you do get the expected search box when you use <Windows> F, then just use that and forget about Ctrl-F as something else is interfering with it, but obviously Windows search is still fine.

For a decent free 3rd-party search programme you may look into things like Agent Ransack (despite its name, it's perfectly fine) or the simpler Everything search engine - either of these are kosher and may be integrated with x2 Lite using the registry tweak mentioned above.  They are also both superior to Windows search, but so is a blind horse with whooping-cough, so they are what they are.  :shrug:
Bennu

Post by Bennu »

Thanks, Kilmatead. At last I'm getting somewhere. Pressing Windows+F does bring up the Windows Search, but it's fairly useless as the searching seems to be confined to my User folder.

Believe me, I haven't installed any other utilities that might prevent Ctrl+F from working.

The solution here seems to be to have Windows Explorer running in the background, where Ctrl+F works on that. It's not a bad idea to have both apps running together, since I can drag 'n' drop files from one to t'other. Why stop at that? Explorer allows me to Undo file moves (Ctrl+Z), which X2 hasn't got around to including, even after all this time. Even less mature apps such as Q-Dir (also freeware) include 2 tree panes (for which I see X2 PRO users have been clamoring for ages), so I'm in no hurry to upgrade to X2 Pro, sorry Nikos.

One last question here. Sometimes I notice what seems to be a small search field opening up at the bottom RH corner of the X2 Lite window. I don't remember what I did to make it appear, nor what it is there for. Can anyone enlighten me?
Last edited by Bennu on 2012 May 13, 13:28, edited 1 time in total.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Bennu wrote:The solution here seems to be to have Windows Explorer running in the background, where Ctrl+F works on that. It's not a bad idea to have both apps running together, since I can drag 'n' drop files from one to t'other.
That's what dual-pane mode is for - why use an explorer substitute if you're just going keep an explorer window open anyway?

Also, I've never known anyone who actively wanted to use Windows Search before - even something as simple as the "Everything" utility mentioned above (which requires no installation) is faster, simpler, and easier to use than Windows Search.  What's the attraction?  (Or, should I say, what's the aversion to using a superior search tool?)
Bennu wrote:Sometimes I notice what seems to be a small search field opening up at the bottom RH corner of the X2 Lite window. I don't remember what I did to make it appear, nor what it is there for. Can anyone enlighten me?
Without a screenshot of what you're referring to, nothing comes to mind - x2 doesn't open any search boxes down there.  "...what seems to be a small search field" is a bit vague - is it actually an input box?  Perhaps you've installed something like Listary (or similar) which does use such floating boxes in conjunction with system listviews?
Last edited by Kilmatead on 2012 May 13, 13:31, edited 1 time in total.
Bennu

Post by Bennu »

That's probably what it is - I do have Listary installed. Thanks for the explanation.