zip folders

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

MamiyaOtaru

Post by MamiyaOtaru »

Like a few other people, I don't like having zip files mixed in with the folders.  I am well aware of how to make it so XP does no treat them as folders, but I rather like opening them in exlorer/2xexplorer.  The problem is with the ordering.

When I download a program, and can't remember if it was an exe installer, or something packed in a zip file, I have to look in two places, up in the folders, and down in the files (or in just one place if I guess right the first time ;) )

It is nice that zips can be accessed by 2x and explorer as a foilder, but they are still files.  I would love some way to have them down among the files while retaining the ability to open them in 2x.  Different is not always good.  Surely there is some way to have folders that happen to be zips stuck down with the files.  If this causes some actual regular folder ending in .zip (who knows why that would ever happen) to be among the files, so be it.

Thanks for 2x, it really is great.  Alongside Litestep and Opera, it lets me be completely explorer free :)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

one of the reasons 2x is stable despite the constant development and upgrades is that it is internally as "clean" as possible, avoiding exceptions of the sort "...for certain kind of files, browse them like folders but sort them as files..."

it just adds internal complication
after all it's just a matter of convention and getting used to it
wrt your example, if you can't remember whether something you're looking for is exe or zip, you'd still have to look into 2 different places, no? :)
Alycat

Post by Alycat »

nikos wrote:if you can't remember whether something you're looking for is exe or zip, you'd still have to look into 2 different places, no? :)
Don't think so, if I have a file called "fred" and it was either a zip or self-unpacking exe, and because I am old I can't remember ... eerr can't remember...anyway.... fred.zip is shown up the top of the list with folders, and fred.exe is down the bottom with the files---Win Explorer lists them together doesn't it?
Ken

"C" - it's a programming language used by those who can't spell anything longer
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

exe and zip are not normally displayed next to one another. So you'll still have to peruse two different groups that's all i'm saying. It's a matter of getting used to zipfolders as folders, unlearning a few old tricks  :xmas:
MamiyaOtaru

Post by MamiyaOtaru »

Nikos, I understand your point about keeping things clean.  I'll live with it.

For me, fred.exe and fred.zip would be displayed next to each other (in explorer), as I sort by filename.  Like Alycat said, if I download Opera7 say, and don't remember if it was zip or exe, I just look under the O's, opera7.zip and Opera7.exe would be in the same place (in explorer, with files sorted by filename)

My only other real complaint is that it can be hard to find subfolders, with all those zip files surrounding them (zips outnumber subfolders drastically in a few of my folders)

I don't want to unlearn things.. :p

Anyway, as I said, I understand your reasoning for leaving it as is.  Doesn't mean I suddenly like it that way though hehe
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

ok you convinced me
i'll add a registry tweak to sort zips as files