UNC path in address bar - ...

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

kevinlsw

Post by kevinlsw »

On Win2k (or any NT based machines I assume), if I access a remote machine that requires authentication using UNC convention in the address bar like the following:

\\machine\C$ or
\\machine\C$\*

It gives me a "CPU cannot make any sense of the last input" error.

However, if I simply have the machine name in the path like the following:

\\machine

it will then prompt me for the authentication details like username and password. After that, if I re-type \\machine\C$ in the addressbar, then everything is cool and dandy.

Is it a limitation that the address bar couldn't take admin shares of remote machines using UNC path (\\machine\C$)unless I am properly authenticated? :shrug:

I was hoping just by typing \\machine\C$ will prompt me the authentication dialog, so I don't have to go from \\machine first.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

2x doesn't initiate any authentication. It's windows that check these stuff. Do you have similar problems when trying to access plain shared folders on such remote machines?

:shrug:

at least you can make it work with the workaround ...
kevinlsw

Post by kevinlsw »

nikos wrote:
Do you have similar problems when trying to access plain shared folders on such remote machines?
No problem when accessing plain shared folders on remote machines from the address bar. It's just the admin share like C$, D$ etc.

I forgot to mention that if I type \\machine\C$ in the Start->Run dialog, it also prompts me for the auth. dialog, which was what lead me to think it would have worked in the address bar too. Oh well...

at least you can make it work with the workaround ...
Yup, that's very true :spin:

EDIT:  Could it be some parsing error on the cmdline in the address bar or something? because "\\machine\C$" does have a "$" character in the command line which might conflict with the "$", ">" kind of commands?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

no, this is squarely bill gate's fault  :)