Deletes are very very slow...

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

memelet

Deletes are very very slow...

Post by memelet »

... Deleting an empty folder takes no less than 30 seconds. This is on a brand new windows xp pro install, dual 3.6 dell box. Deleting from regular windows explorer is instant.

I am seeing this problem with 1.4.0.4(?) and the latest beta 1.4.0.90. What can I do to debug this problem? Its killing me.

thanks

-barry
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

I cannot reproduce that --
in fact, your post prompted me to find & delete hundreds of unused empty folders.  I did a few dozen at a time using different delete 'methods'.  The response was always very fast (2 seconds at the most for the whole group). The one thing I did notice is that when deleting from a scrap pane collection, sometimes the pane does not update for a while (but the folders are indeed gone, as monitored in parallel by another file manager -- 2xExplorer, or windoze Explorer).
(x2 v14090 on XPpro,sp2 but single-processor machine.)
Gandolf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Gandolf »

Instant for me, but a couple of ideas.

Does the Dell system have a special Recycle Bin similar to Norton Protect? I know Dell do some special features (I will check with a friend of mine who works for them). This may slow things down but I would have thought it should have the same effect in Windows Explorer.

Since the system is new I assume that the Recycle Bin is almost empty, a full bin does slow down deleting (but again, I would expect the same to apply to Windows Explorer).
WimdeLange
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WimdeLange »

Are you sure it take so long? Is it possible that you have a refresh problem? Try to do a Ctrl-R after you delete the file/directory.
Groetjes,
  Wim de Lange
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

also make sure you are not browsing the folder you are trying to delete, e.g. in the inactive pane
memelet

Post by memelet »

I should have been more clear. It was not simply slow, but xplorer was comletely hung until the delete completed, hourglass and all.

I was not borwsing the folder I was trying to delete. Since I sync the active pane with the tree, that causes an error (one of my biggest xplorer annoyances).

But now, I logon this morning and test again, deletes are normal. But clearly something was going on. And xplorer is doing something different than windows, as widows did not have any delay. (I did a whole bunch of tests using both xplorer and windows before posting.)

So for now, I will just keep an eye out. Is there any way to turn on any debugging in xplorer should this occur again so I could provide more useful info?

And thanks for replies. I am a very happy (and addicted) user of xplorer.

-barry
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

barry, you can try this debug version if you come accross this again:
www.ps.ic.ac.uk/~umeca74/dbmon.zip
jerryp

Post by jerryp »

I recently started having the very slow delete problem.
When I cleared the trash basket, the problem went away.
David_1cog

Post by David_1cog »

Same problem and solution as jerryp.  My problem *maybe* started with install of 1.5.0.0.
David
i76iliny

Post by i76iliny »

Same problem and solution as jerryp and David_1cog. I emptied roughly half of my Recycle Bin, and now deleting files takes roughly half as long as before, which is still longer than it takes to delete files in other file managers, as well as local files in FTP clients.
RickyF
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RickyF »

Just to let everyone know since 1.5 I've experienced the same slow delete behavior. And yes the problem is alleviated by emptying the recycle bin. But this is not a good solution if you ever want to restore a deleted item.
Demetris
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Demetris »

I have been having this issue intermittently since I made a new installation of XP Pro SP2 + 80 hotfixes up to mid February.

The only difference from the previous setup is the 80 hotfixes.

So, I'm thinking it may be one of the hotfixes.

Does anyone have this problem with XP SP2 plain, no hotfixes?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i have plain sp2 and have never seen this in my life
it is unlikely that it is related with 1.5 either

how many items are in the bin when this starts occuring?
Demetris
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Demetris »

nikos wrote:how many items are in the bin when this starts occuring?
It has not happened for about a week now. I cannot reproduce it. :shrug:

Last time it happened it affected both x2 and WExplorer. (I restored the items from the bin and then went to WExplorer to check.) x2 was slower, but WExplorer was slow too.

Also, x2 was the same in both setups (some beta of 1.5). The only difference was the hotfixes and the clean installation.
i76iliny

Post by i76iliny »

nikos wrote:i have plain sp2 and have never seen this in my life. it is unlikely that it is related with 1.5 either. how many items are in the bin when this starts occuring?
I'm using xplorer2 lite 1.4.0.1 and Windows XP SP1 with 58 updates including hotfixes. There are 700 items in my Recycle Bin, and deleting a file can take 4-6 seconds or so, which is roughly half as long as it sometimes took to delete a file when there were roughly twice as many files in the Recycle Bin.