Can't reduce size of window displayed for xplorer2

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Ken Hartmann

Can't reduce size of window displayed for xplorer2

Post by Ken Hartmann »

Suddenly I could not make the screen for x2 reduce to a smaller size.  It always opens as maximized and I can minimize it to the task bar, but I cannot activate the restore button that allows me to move that window around the screen and drag and drop files into other applications that are open.  I downloaded the latest version and it didn't help at all.

Hokkaido Ken
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

@ Suddenly !? -- What had you done/installed/changed/etc. on your system (or with x2) ... between the time when things were OK and when they weren't?
If it was new install of x2 -- are you using a language file (translation)? & if so did you update it with the latest translation corresponding to your new x2 version?
Ken Hartmann

Window resizing

Post by Ken Hartmann »

Hi,

Thanks for your interest in my problem.  When I used the term suddenly it is because everything has been working correctly for months.  I use my computer a lot and sometimes one program or another starts to act a little strange when resources are stretched.  This is what I thought it was when I was working with GoLive and I opened X2 to drag some files into the GoLive directory.  When I couldn't make the X2 window smaller, I just closed down the programs and rebooted the system as usual.  However, even when I open X2 only I could not make the window smaller.  I decided to download the latest version (I was using 1.4) in case there was a bug correction.  Well, the new version behaves in the same manner.  I can use Windows Explorer in the correct way, but I purchased X2 to get away from Explorer.  Any suggestion will be appreciated.  I also purchased a copy for my wifes computer and it works just fine.  I was going to reinstall my old version but thought the updated one would be better.

Ken
Hokkaido Ken
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Ken,
I think it is not a version issue, but something has lost/corrupted a setting somewhere that controls the pane size/position/layer state for the display of xplorer2 windows.

Interestingly, I have had a similar thing happen to my ACDSee PhotoEditor: it now operates only in maximized-only state.  Haven't figured out how to fix it yet because I can work with it without being too annoyed.  I suspect a problem with the windows shell keeping track of app display-pane conditions.   But I can't rule out a problem with the app.  :shrug:

Back to x2 -
When you create a scrap pane, does it have the same behaviour?
How about when you open x2 in a different layout?
You might try changing your shortcut for opening x2 such that it names new nonexistant layout and let x2 fill in all its defaults.
How?
r-click on x2 shortcut, elect: Properties | Shortcut | Target
add " /S:newlayout" (with a preceding space, but without my quotes) to the Targetbox entry.
Result may look like:
"C:\Program Files\zabkat\xplorer2\xplorer2_UC.exe" /S:Try2

- - - HTH;   I'm mostly shooting in the dark.  Nikos may have some other ideas; so check back later.  :?
Ken Hartmann

Shot in the dark

Post by Ken Hartmann »

Your shot in the dark worked.  I now have full functionality again.  :D

Thanks.
Hokkaido Ken
Gandolf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Can't reduce size of window displayed for xplorer2

Post by Gandolf »

Ken Hartmann wrote:... I cannot activate the restore button ...
When you click on the button does the button change from the display of two cascaded windows to a single window? What does the tooltip say? Does it change from "Restore Down" to "Maximise" when you click.

Can you click and drag on the Window title bar? Obviously only possible when the Restore Down/Maximise button displays the single window (tooltip = Maximise). If you can drag the window then you can obviously re-size it.

It's possible that you have somehow managed to set the reduced window size to larger than your screen display (this has happened to me with some programs - in one particular program it was in fact a bug). The display always appears to be maximised but the Restore Down/Maximise button does change it's state, although the window size does not change.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

sometimes i've seen it for x2 and other programs, could be a windows bug, dunno! but the solution is simple: click on the system menu, pick Move and then use the arrow keys to make the window smaller (the mouse usually is useless in this case since the window borders are off limits)
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

AFI recall, Restore, Move and Size al all grayed out (unavailable); so I think that won't work.  (You did mean "Size" when you said "Move", right?)  But my own problem with ACDSee photoeditor has "magically" evaporated, and Ken Hartmann's x2 issue is fixed with him starting with a new "layout", so ... :shrug:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

if both restored & size are disabled, something's totally fishy

when window is maximized, then Size will be grayed out but when it is "restored" you will be able to do what i described, even when the window looks full screen
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Yes, ... fishy,  (... or faulty memory.)
... now where did I put my ginkgo biloba ???  ;)