Favorites window?

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

RobOtter

Favorites window?

Post by RobOtter »

Hi,

I´m very new to x2 (honestly spoken, I am trying it out since today).
Maybe I have not found the proper option (it´s a bit hard to map the english documentation to the german version I installed, and there is no way to select the language in the program) but it seems to me that there is no way to constantly view (and access) my defined favorites. I would envision a pane (is it called pane?) like the preview. I don´t like keyboard shortcuts very much and it is quite uncomfortable to select a favorite from the menu.

Can you give a hint on that?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

there's no dedicated favorites pane as you wish it

the closest i can think of is to put all your favorite folders in a scrap window (see Window menu) and save its contents. Then you can have this window as your custom pane (use Ctrl+D_click to open folders)

at some future stage it will be possible to put such scrap panes within the main window too
snakebyte
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by snakebyte »

Try out Dirkey (with xplorer2 Plug-in)
http://www.protonfx.com/dirkey/

Its my favourite, favorites manager ;-). The best part about Dirkey is that its not just limited to xplorer2. It works for regular windows Explorer, File Open dialogs, Folder select dialogs etc. You can browse to your favourite folder either by using hotkeys (eg ctrl+1, Ctrl+2 etc) or visually from favourites pane which gets launched when you right click on the close button (X) of your current window.

http://www.protonfx.com/dirkey/screenshots.php

Check it out. Its pretty cool. Oh yeah! its free too.
Help! I'm an AI running around in someone's universe simulator.
RobOtter

Post by RobOtter »

Hm. What´s the catch?
It does not give me any more functions or convenience than the built-in favorites menu. I cannot let the window stay open all the time, I don´t want the hotkeys (I can´t remember them) and it doesn´t integrate in xplorer2 at all (that is, I have to save the bookmarks separately when making a backup - they are not taken from xplorer2 or vice versa).
Maybe I´ve missed something on Dirkey but to me it looks quite useless in conjunction with xplorer2 (quite different of cause if we would talk about the common windows explorer).
snakebyte
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by snakebyte »

Hi Rob,

What you are looking for is a window containing fav links that is open all the times. I'm sorry, but it is not supported by xplorer2 or by DirKey. The closest you can get is by trying what nikos mentioned in his post.

Yes Dirkey can't read xplorer2 favs. You have to add them to Dirkey again. But once you have done that your favorites are not just restricted to xplorer2 but any other window that asks you to navigate to a folder e.g file open/save dialog, windows folder select dialog, winzip(using plugin) etc. Dirkey is also convenient to access by right clicking on the close button (X) and then selecting the fav folder you want to navigate to. Adding current folder to Dirkey is also easy. Just launch Dirkey dialog and click on "Add Current" button.

Dirkey supports hotkeys. Its your choice if you don't want to use it.
Help! I'm an AI running around in someone's universe simulator.
RobOtter

Post by RobOtter »

snakebyte wrote:What you are looking for is a window containing fav links that is open all the times. I'm sorry, but it is not supported by xplorer2 or by DirKey.
Yep, thanks for clarifying this. It´s sad but true.
Yes Dirkey can't read xplorer2 favs. You have to add them to Dirkey again. But once you have done that your favorites are not just restricted to xplorer2 but any other window that asks you to navigate to a folder e.g file open/save dialog, windows folder select dialog, winzip(using plugin) etc.
You´re right, Dirkey can be very helpful for various programs. But since I´m using another program for this task for a couple of years now (Dialog box assistant, not freeware), I feel no need to replace it.
Dirkey supports hotkeys. Its your choice if you don't want to use it.
Exactly :D   That´s why I´m looking for a fav window...
xplorer2 is the best file manager I´ve found until now and I think I´m going to use it as a full Windows Explorer replacement. To achieve my goal of a fav window, I´m currently thinking of developing a small additional application that integrates with x2. If I´m ever get it done (due to my rar spare time) I would be glad to share it if anyone else would be interested at all.