Deleting files

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Alycat

Post by Alycat »

If a file is deleted in the file frame by pushing the "delete" key no prompt is issued, but if right-click, delete is used, a prompt is issued - is this the intended method?
Ken

"C" - it's a programming language used by those who can't spell anything longer
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i fear i'm going to upset you again
in the tree i have explicitly discarded the [Del] key to prevent accidents. Accidents in the tree are so much more dangerous than in a file frame since you run the risk of deleting a lot of stuff with one swift stroke

the only way you can delete in the tree is with the context menu (the File | Delete command is also disabled)

P.S. Sorry, i just realized you're talking about files not folders. Indeed what you describe shouldn't happen & i'll have to look into it.
Alycat

Post by Alycat »

what about deleting folders in the file frame? Lost "The Gimp" last night :thumbdn: but there is a recycle bin :)
Ken

Alycat

Post by Alycat »

in the tree i have explicitly discarded the [Del] key to prevent accidents. Accidents in the tree are so much more dangerous than in a file frame since you run the risk of deleting a lot of stuff with one swift stroke
I have been thinking about this, and I do not agree - firstly, removing a function I always find causes complaints but in any case isn't that what prompts are for - to stop us making mistakes? I don't really use that many key commands in x2 but I gather others here do, and [del] is one of the few I do use.

And finally, if you go around telling users how to do things and that you know best -- you will get yourself in trouble from M$, they see that as their area of responsibility. :lol: :lol:
Ken

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

better to upset users a little than have them suing me for damages.
you know it makes sense!