Confirm replace dialog: UI improvement

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

wasker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Confirm replace dialog: UI improvement

Post by wasker »

Usually I find my self very puzzled with stock Confirm Replace dialog shown by x2. Today I understood why:

This is a screen shot from one of the x2 rivals. I'm completely sold by its "file is smaller/bigger" conclusion on file. Although their UI isn't perfect. I suggest to get even further and add color to highlight the changes:

This UI isn't perfect either -- I spend roughly 15 minutes on arranging controls on the form. :) But you can see my idea: the user can prominently see which file is this fuzz about (the name is bold), what's up with the file by reading the conclusion, any change is highlighted and no more mess with five buttons (though this is questionable -- I know why you have them five).

So, any chances to have these usability (keyword!) changes incorporated in x2? :wink:
I'm using Xplorer2 - the only file manager that does not suck. Actually, it rocks!
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

it's coal for christmas for you for touching rival software ;)

the simplicity of x2's report is down to a single dialog format shared with various elements in the program. All the information you recommended is there, including actions. Perhaps I'll switch to a rtf format to make things more easy to read
wasker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wasker »

Actually, I didn't touch -- just viewed screenshots. Is my carma ruined anyways? :)

Yeah, I completely understand why is confirm replace dialog so plain. But if you will have some time, please do something. :)

PS.
WTF is "coal for Christmas"? I think I should either laugh or be angry, but I don't know the meaning. :)
I'm using Xplorer2 - the only file manager that does not suck. Actually, it rocks!
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

it means that next christmas instead of robosapien you'll be getting just coal, that should teach you being naughty ;)
wasker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wasker »

Here're more thoughts on the subject from the UI designer. It's Vista-wise, but applicapable to x2 too.
rumsfeld

Post by rumsfeld »

I think a priority one enhancement needed right away is an another option in the confirm file replace dialog box saying add suffix, or enter new name, and copy the file.

I get this dialog box often when I don't expect it. I don't know what file is what and would like it to copy the file without replacement so I can figure out later what is what.

This is especially annoying when I have spent a lot of time blocking some files and in the middle of copying them this message comes up and I don't know whether to say no and let the process go on and to stop and start over.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Note that you already have an add suffix option when you elect Rename target in the Transfer options dialog box.  
With this option, the file being copied will be renamed, adding a numerical suffix to the base name, beginning with  _1  for the first duplicate and continuing  _2 ,  _3 , ... for additional same-named files.
rumsfeld

Post by rumsfeld »

fgagnon said:

Note that you already have an add suffix option when you elect Rename target in the Transfer options dialog box.

What is that?  All I get is a confirm file replace dialog box with a yes/no option.  I don't see anything named transfer options dialog box.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

that's when you click "options" in the F5 dialog. There is one option to "rename target" within the overwrite confirmation control group
rumsfeld

Post by rumsfeld »

Thanks for telling me.  I didn't know that was there.

However, it doesn't help my situation.

Usually, when I copy files like this, mostly image files in my photo collection, I don't know where I will put them when I block them into the clipboard.  I then find and navigate to where I want to put them and then I do a paste.  

I have always liked the ability to use control-x or control-c and control-v to first figure out what I want to copy or move and then figure out where I want to put the files.  You can separate the two actions in time.  Also you don't have to keep the blocked files on an active pane.  Unlike with drag and drop, you do not have to have both source and destinations on the screen at the same time to drag and drop.

I do this by looking at the right hand file list and often use the previewer to examine images in the directory to verify that the directory contains what I think it does.  Sometimes I need both panes and have to reuse the pane in which I blocked the files I want to move.

By the time I have figured out where I want to move them, I may have forgotten what I wanted to move.

Then when I get a duplicate file message on the paste I have a mess figuring out what to do.

Users need the suffix facility for moves within xplorer2 with the paste facility as well as the copy to function.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

you can have "robust paste" too so that ctrl+V behaves like F5. See registry.txt and the new registry settings editor for the checkbox to enable it
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

You have at least two methods to choose from:

You could use scrap panes to hold your selection temporarily till you decide where to drop it.

You can launch any number of scrap containers to hold different collections.

First browse your entire file system and identify your likely target folders. Drag-n-drop them all (one-by-one) into the mini-scrap pane. Now browse your source folders, make selections and then drag-n-drop them into any one folder in the mini-scrap pane.

Refer to UM p.159 onwards for details.