XP-style icons?

Chitchat about x² / 2X products

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Errant

XP-style icons?

Post by Errant »

Hi there, just downloaded xplorer2 lite and I'm loving it, but I was wondering if it's possible to have the unique icons for each file in the centre like normal, instead of the bottom-right? Tried searching for anything related to this, but wasn't able to turn anything up, so sorry if it's a question that's been asked before.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

sorry, i lost you completely there! can you send us a picture of what you are describing?
Errant

Post by Errant »

Certainly. xplorer2 in thumbnail view vs. explorer in thumbnail view.
So what I'd like is to have each program's icon as its thumbnail. It's not a huge problem if it's not possible, I was just curious about whether I'd missed an option somewhere.

Edit: Actually the explorer screenshot is in tile view, but you get the idea.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

ok now i get it, but this is kind of by design. Thumbnail view mode is only for "thumbnailable" content, and the icon gets thrown bottom right

i could change it for a large icon in the middle like folders behave, hands up who'd prefer that?
Errant

Post by Errant »

Well, me of course. :wink:
kunkel321
Gold Member
Gold Member

Seems sensible.

Post by kunkel321 »

I guess I'm a bit late here, but...
Errant's quest seems sensible to me.  The application icons do relay one "level more" of information than the generic "this-is-not-thumbable" icon.  Though admittedly, as Nikos has indicated, these not-thumbable icons are mearly an indication that you're in the wrong view....
-steve
Serenity

Post by Serenity »

I don't know if it's not a little too late now to give a reply to this thread, but I was wondering about the same issue. I would definitely prefer the option of a big file icon in the middle when thumbnail view is activated.
I think it would help to make browsing of mixed folders more efficient.
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

Add me to the list - if I am in thumbnail view mode, I understand that it is supposed to be thumbnails, but a 'mixed' mode would be handy - thumbnails where possible, and file type icon where thumbnail is not possible....

Wepver
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Wepver »

I second that.
I prefer a big icon, like the explorer ones.
Errant

Post by Errant »

Sorry to necropost, but is there any chance of this being added to the next version?
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

only 15 days old, so I wouldn't call it a necropost - now, if this was from, say, 2006....

AFA next build though, only Nikos can answer that....

The Dude

Post by The Dude »

I'd upgrade to pro for the better thumbnail view alone, but the fact is, in Vista, thumbnail view is ugly. Especially with darker themes. It doesn't fully support video thumbnails, or even drive icons. And has a permanent white background. Blech.

An option to hide the menu and breadcrumb bar would also be nice.
Last edited by The Dude on 2008 Nov 30, 20:39, edited 2 times in total.
The Dude

Post by The Dude »

screenshot:

compared to explorer:

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

first you need to upgrade to the new pro version since thumbnails have changed a little. Then, I can't see how the background is black. I guess you have changed the active view color to black so the thumbnail background should be black too!?

there is an inconsistency with the inactive pane, so if you have that black and the main (active) pane white, then thumbnails won't look that good when you tab to the inactive pane
The Dude

Post by The Dude »

Here's a screenshot of the latest 1.7.2.0 Pro. It's a dark windows theme. Not really that uncommon. Why not make the thumbnails' background a windows UI color? Or transparent? And why not support windows' drive icons?