Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

dunno
Gold Member
Gold Member

How do I save my customised toolbars

Post by dunno »

HI,
I would like to save the way in which I have customised the icons of my menu bars, Its such a drag having to customise the menu bars all over again after a reinstall of xplorer2, I don't see how I can do this, could anyone enlighten me please ?.

I have searched and read up about saving layouts, but after reading posts I still dont understand how I would save my customised menu/toolbar.

Thanks.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

to maintain settings between reinstalls, either don't remove the registry settings when the uninstaller asks you so, or use Actions | Export settings command to create a backup of your settings in a REG file. Then double click on it to restore your settings while xplorer2 isn't running
dunno
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dunno »

Thanks for your prompt response.
dunno
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dunno »

nikos wrote:or use Actions | Export settings command to create a backup of your settings in a REG file. Then double click on it to restore your settings while xplorer2 isn't running
I recently reinstalled my OS from scratch, and I tried the method you mention above to restore my menu icons, and it didnt work, so...hohum it was a manual customise all the way.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

did you make sure xplorer2 was not running when you restored the old settings?
dunno
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dunno »

The first time I clicked on the X2 reg backup file Xplorer wasn't closed, I then closed Xplorer and clicked on the reg backup file, still nothing.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

this goes against the laws of physics, so you must be doing something else :)
dunno
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dunno »

nikos wrote:this goes against the laws of physics, so you must be doing something else :)
Yes I do have a knack for "breaking" software where it shouldn't/couldn't be broken...
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: How do I save my customised toolbars

Post by FrizzleFry »

dunno wrote:HI,
I would like to save the way in which I have customised the icons of my menu bars, Its such a drag having to customise the menu bars all over again after a reinstall of xplorer2, I don't see how I can do this, could anyone enlighten me please ?.
What do you mean by "customised the icons of my menu bars"?
dunno
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: How do I save my customised toolbars

Post by dunno »

FrizzleFry wrote: ?.
What do you mean by "customised the icons of my menu bars"?
The main toolbar at the top of Xplorer has icons, these can be moved around, removed, or added. I have personalised the icons in this toolbar, that's what I'm referring too.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

either you didn't save the settings properly; or try the following: 1. quit x2; 2. make backup of the existing registry keys (e.g. rename them); 3. reimport the saved settings (those that you had organized nicely in the past)

sometimes if there is some registry information and you import another .REG file, the merger isn't successful. Alternatively you can use /I command line option to import the settings file (see the quickstart guide) which is smart enough to delete old registry settings first
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

Ok, I wanted to establish that you were not using Resourse Hacker to "customize" the menu bar.

When I re-install XP I will import the x2 reg file before I install x2 and I get all my settings back... even all my tabs and the folders I was browsing in them.

Having existing registry entries does cause problems. So if you install, run, exit, then import it will not work right. I have not tried the new /I option yet.
dunno
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dunno »

nikos wrote: sometimes if there is some registry information and you import another .REG file, the merger isn't successful.
I would never have guessed that I had to restore the X2 reg file BEFORE installing Xplorer2.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i think that additional toolbars could be the only setting that's affected in this way. Please try it!
dunno
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dunno »

I unistalled X2 including the registry settings, reinstalled it and d-clicked on the .reg file and wonders of wonders all my settings were restored, great.
One thing though, it didn't ask me for my registration key during the reinstallation, (told you I can break things.....) and there is a reg number in "About Xplorer2..."