blog: editor2

A collection of especially useful xplorer² topics and ideas. New users may find it helpful to look here before searching the other forums for information. >>>>>> Please post new material in the relevant forum. (New stuff posted here will be removed.) Thanks. -fg-

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

blog: editor2

Post by nikos »

This thread was originally posted  in the xplorer² Professional forum.        
Moved here 19-May-2010 =fg=
=====================================================

here's the comment area for today's blog post found at:
www.zabkat.com/blog/27Jan08.htm
snemarch
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by snemarch »

TheGun cheats, to achieve it's 5kb executable it's of course compressed. And it crashes on XP64 and generally isn't much to write home about :)
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

nikos,

It didn't start out that way, but, with no fanfare, Editor² has gradually become my preferred text editor because of how nicely it is integrated with xplorer².   Well done! :)

There is, however, an inconsistent (and therefore annoying) 'feature' regarding its handling of "end of line" when selecting/cutting/pasting a whole line.
I know you must know what I mean, but I will describe it anyway for other user feedback on the need to fix it :thumbup:
... or to tell me to "get over it already" :thumbdn:  

In most cases**, when an entire line is selected, and then "cut", the end-of-line (EOL) characters OD,OA are cut also; but when pasting the selection, the EOL characters are missing, requiring an extra "Return" keystroke to manually enter them.
I would much appreciate it if this inconsistent 'feature' could be removed such that what is pasted matches what is cut.  ;)

Cheers!
-fg-

** except when a line is selected from right end to left end, then the EOL characters are not part of the selection.
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

I notice inconsistency in selecting lines also:

I select lines using shift down arrow.
If the line following the last selected line is blank or at the end of the file you get an extra CR/LF... ie. a blank line following the selection is also selected. This behavior is visually displayed.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

all these copy stuff aren't handled by editor2 per se. I know what you mean, but I've settled myself copying using ctrl+c (hint: this copies the whole line when no selection is marked) and then having to enter a CR manually after paste.
ZoNi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by ZoNi »

I wish, at least, tabs and synthax highlighting ;)

Until then, Notepad++ is my choice!

(but, to be honest, editor2 IS my default text editor on my laptop - it is even on my Start menu ;) see here: http://www.zoniweb.com/mypc/ )
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

then we're talking proper editor, not notepad replacement!
desslok
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by desslok »

Full UNICODE support :thumbup:

Not only that, it can also handle my non-Latin system default encoding. Amazing.

I love how xplorer2 is UNICODE-conscious. It's puzzling to me that so many (even new) file managers and editors are still this day and age not FULLY supporting it despite the fact that Windows went to UNICODE a long time ago.
pschroeter
Silver Member
Silver Member

It would be much nicer with a Spell Checker

Post by pschroeter »

It sort of resembles a word processor, though I don't think that is what its for. Since I can't spell worth a darn, anything I use to work with words needs a spell checker.
TheHatMan

Post by TheHatMan »

I agree that editor² is one of the most versatile text editors for general purpose work. In fact I always use it from inside xplorer². It loads faster than practically any text editor around. By the way has anyone noticed that metapad can display RTF files with full formatting.
Michaelm

Post by Michaelm »

I miss an always on top feature for the editor or am I just blind and can't find it ?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

there isn't one, i'll see if i can add one for the next release
desslok
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by desslok »

There is already a program that does what Michaelm wants. Any window you like. Just Google.
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

ZoNi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by ZoNi »

nikos wrote:then we're talking proper editor, not notepad replacement!
heh ;)

I use Notepad++ as a Notepad replacement ;)