"Auto-update from website" feature

Chitchat about x² / 2X products

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

Some software have auto-update facility: when the user presses a button, the software checks a website, and updates itself. If there is no update available, a message informs the user that the latest version is already running.

Examples: Antivirus updates, DAP (Download Accelerator Plus)
  (Both have slightly different method of updating.)

Possible?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

there's a thin line between autoupdate & spyware. If there's one thing that drives me up the wall is programs like realplayer and msn messenger that just won't give up when you say time and again no I don't want no fcukin' updates or registration. Just the thought of it makes me want to smash something  :angry:
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

Sometimes I don't express myself so well as in Limericks.
So some confusion is only to be expected.

By "auto", I didn't mean the application makes unsolicited demands on users periodically; and then doesn't leave him in a single click.

There, you have to enter an endless dialogue like
"Do you really want to exit?"
>> (yes)
"Are you sure?"
>> (yes)

No, sir! I am not suggesting any nagging, spying, adware, etc.

What I meant was a simply having a link in your "Help>about" menu that allows the user to update the 2xExplorer without exiting and using Windows Explorer to replace the 2xExplorer.exe file.

In both the examples, the common thing is that they do such on-line updation. The user does not have to do anything except to select the option.

The other unsavoury habits of these applications is outside the scope of our discussion here. :)
BRX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BRX »

Nikos I agree 100% with your opinion about auto-update/spyware.

Narayan, get yourself a webmonitor instead and lock in on the 2x homepage and you won't miss an update.

I recommend Website-Watcher (Nikos, I hope you don't mind mentioning soft that has nothing to do with file-managing or editing. I'm not affiliated. Only a *very* content registered user). It's shareware though but IMHO the best there is and worth every cent. Couldn't live without it any more.

There are one or two freeware ones, too, I believe.

BRX
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

Ah! Now I see that the word "auto" is at the root of this.

I used "auto" in the sense of "automatic, local, self- replacement", without any help from Windows Explorer (WE).

The intent was not to automatically stay in sync with the website. In my view also, the user has to initiate this update. That is why I mentioned the Help>about menu.
What I meant was a simply having a link in your "Help>about" menu that allows the user to update the 2xExplorer without exiting and using Windows Explorer to replace the 2xExplorer.exe file.

In both the examples, the common thing is that they do such on-line updation. The user does not have to do anything except to select the option.
Reason is- The sole purpose of Windows Explorer nowadays is to replace the old 2x file with the new one. Once the new version of 2x is up and running, WE is back to its cupboard! (Most users will not be comfortable with using DOS commands.)

Why do we need to use WE for such desultory purposes, then?

Enter the auto-update facility (in the sense I meant).

BTW, for the sole purpose of 2x updation, web-synchronizers would not be much of use. Reason is: they report any change in the page; not only the version-change in the zip file. That will result in many false-triggers.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i didn't know that programs like Website-Watcher existed. Now I understand how some websites are so quick to pick up any updates I post. I thought there was some sort of black magic involved !

I suppose that i can add a help menu item called "check for updates" that just sends you to the website, and it's up to you to check your current version
rir3760

Post by rir3760 »

IMHO a better idea is to include the help file (2xExplorer.chm) in 2xExplorer package as it have links to the homepage and web-based forums. In that case the only menu entry that needs to be added is the standard "Help", "Contents...".
BRX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BRX »

Reason is- The sole purpose of Windows Explorer nowadays is to replace the old 2x file with the new one. Once the new version of 2x is up and running, WE is back to its cupboard! (Most users will not be comfortable with using DOS commands.)

Why do we need to use WE for such desultory purposes, then?
We don't. What I do is:
- Download the new zip
- Launch it (in 2Ex) so it opens (with archiver like WinRar)
- Close 2Ex
- Unzip to the correct folder (lately it's even always in the
 history of WinRar because of the frequent updates ;-))
- Close archiver, relaunch 2Ex

No need for (bleah) Windows Explorer.

Also there's still the problem with overwriting the running exe even with this update feature, isn't it?

BRX
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i tried that but even after leaving all the old docs out the distributable grows from 400 to 500 kb. Since one of the key selling points of 2x is the small size, and since for the foreseeable future bandwidth is at a premium, I went for the separation
Kndroc

Post by Kndroc »

BRX wrote:Also there's still the problem with overwriting the running exe even with this update feature, isn't it?

BRX
The exe is not locked while 2xExplorer is running.  In fact i can even rename it using 2xExplorer....hehe

So how i update is (and i just did it with the newest ver 20 min ago) use 2xExplorer to move away the old exe (which is running) and copy in the new exe in the same place. :)
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

We don't. What I do is:
- Download the new zip
- Launch it (in 2Ex) so it opens (with archiver like WinRar)
- Close 2Ex
- Unzip to the correct folder
- Close archiver, relaunch 2Ex
What a stunning solution, BRX! :ok:

In hindsight, this seems THE only obvious way to do it!
Also there's still the problem with overwriting the running exe even with this update feature, isn't it?
Although the updating a running exe seems to be impossible, some utilities do have it (they don't require rebooting, either! ) ; so there must be a trick (like separating the engine from other parts and then updating only those "non-running" parts).

Kndroc- A running exe can't be moved. (At least, my Win NT4 doesn't allow that; and I think it is the same with all Windows flavors.) What is your trick?

Nikos- The only thing why Windows Explorer is still required is for setting a few options not covered by 2x as yet-
* Edit file associations
* View options (display names in all caps, for example)
* view-style setting for each individual folder (BTW, is this particular feature useful? I just wonder...)

Once this is done- finito!
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

i tried that but even after leaving all the old docs out the distributable grows from 400 to 500 kb. Since one of the key selling points of 2x is the small size, and since for the foreseeable future bandwidth is at a premium, I went for the separation
Hey Nikos! We are running a parallel thread "help docs vs CHM in the zip" within this thread!

Anyway, my view on CHM file issue is-- separate the CHM file alright, but keep a link in the 2x's help menu that expects the CHM file in the local directory.

To sum up:
* Both 2xExplorer.exe and CHM would be available separately. The user is expected to put both in the same working directory.
* When user presses the "help topics" link in the help menu, the 2x will open the CHM file.
* A "Latest version" link in the help menu lets the user check which is the latest version of 2x.

How does that sound?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

what, another build? No way dude!
we'll have to wait for another proverbial bug and then i'll slot this one in too.

for editing file associations, all you need is folder options, not explorer. Depending on your windows, this is either in the start menu | Settings, or within the control panel, neither of which require a trip to the dreadful explorer

finally you can't overwrite a running program, no way. Windows use this thing called "memory mapped files", where the exe file itself acts as its own cache if it needs to be swapped out of memory. I suspect that Kndroc either has more than 1 2x's installed by accident or there's something really weird going on
Kndroc

Post by Kndroc »

After doing some quick investigating this is what i can and can't do with a running exe.

I cant delete it.  Gives me an access denied message.
I can't move it to a different partition. If i try windows forces a copy and not a move.

I CAN rename it.  I can verify this by closing 2x (after using it to rename itself) and then using the run box to instantiate it using the new name.
I CAN move it to a different location on the same partition.  Windows doesn't complain and i can instantiate it from whereever i moved it to no problem.  I also use 2x to verify it doesn't exist in its old position.

I dno, maybe my computers on crack :) but hey at least it lets me update easily.

My comp is XP pro using litestep.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

well you're right! Live and learn, that's the way it goes. But it is only for XP, all older platforms don't allow fooling around like that. Who knows, maybe XP NTFS allows updating the file "header" info without affecting the contents, hence the rename and move possibility.