"CRC check failed" error - For transferring a file via floppy

Chitchat about x² / 2X products

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

When I try to transfer a file to another PC using a floppy, the copy to floppy is OK, but while copying/moving the file to the destination PC a "CRC check failed" error comes up and the transfer is aborted.

I tried several forms of transfer:
 * File in its original form
 * zipped file
 * file cut up with 2x Z1 in >2 parts.

There is no pattern in the problem.

The workaround is usually to start all over again, including the "copy-to-floppy" operation.

What is the probable cause?
BRX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BRX »

Sorry for maybe stating something obvious, but could a be bad sectors on your floppy?

BRX
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

I thought Windows avoids bad sectors present in any media (floppies, hard disks) while copying.

My understanding is: bad sectors are taken into account when a fresh item is written on the medium. Only when a sector goes bad after the writing is over, can a problem occur.

Is that correct?

Based on my understanding I used the same floppy for a fresh operation and got mixed results.

In any case, at least during my experiments, there was almost no delay between the copy-to-floppy and copy-from-floppy operations. In that 1-minute interval the floppy could not have developed new bad sectors.

Nikos,

Is it possible to incorporate verification in the copy/move commands (Like the DOS command having the /v switch) ?

It would be useful to have this built-in assurance while copying critical files.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i've read m$ are planning of discontinuing support for floppies altogether in the near future ( b@stards! )

likewise they haven't been really attentive to them recently. In the past you could eliminate bad sectors (mark them as inaccessible) by formating in full, but nowadays if you do that on a defective disk it just doesn't fix nothing. Best policy is once you realize a floppy starts playing up, send it to a real recycle bin because it's just not worth it!