External editor command: more flexibility wanted

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

MKairys
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

External editor command: more flexibility wanted

Post by MKairys »

The editor I use for my external editor (UltraEdit, a superb product BTW) will open multiple tabs if multiple files are given on the command line. However if I select multiple files in an X2 window and hit F4, what I get is multiple instances of UltraEdit each with one file. From this I assume (and of course I could be wrong) that X2 is firing off a command for each file, when what I want it to do is fire off one command with all the files.
wasker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wasker »

I think it's more of your editor settings. Say, Twistpad opens all files in one window w/o any tweaking. I'd suggest to check UE settings.

Although, this could be useful if the one could configure editor/viewer command line arguments. Something like "Editor\Path.exe" /args $file.
I'm using Xplorer2 - the only file manager that does not suck. Actually, it rocks!
MKairys
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MKairys »

wasker wrote:I think it's more of your editor settings. Say, Twistpad opens all files in one window w/o any tweaking. I'd suggest to check UE settings.
Well, I also have a shortcut to UE in my SendTo folder, and if I select several files in an X2 window, right-click, and send them to UE it works as I expect. So I think it's something in how X2 invokes UE as an external editor.
snakebyte
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by snakebyte »

Open SendTo folder. See the properties of UE shortcut. See if any additional parameter is being passed in the Target field.

Also try this: Instead of using F4 to launch UE, try creating an User command and try passing parameter $A to UE.
eg: >"Path_to_UltraEdit_exe" $A

If above doesn't work, experement with few other tokens.
Help! I'm an AI running around in someone's universe simulator.
MKairys
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MKairys »

snakebyte wrote:Open SendTo folder. See the properties of UE shortcut. See if any additional parameter is being passed in the Target field.
No, the shortcut contains only the path to UE.
snakebyte wrote:Also try this: Instead of using F4 to launch UE, try creating an User command and try passing parameter $A to UE.
Yes, that works. It doesn't really buy me anything, though. What I want is for the View and Edit builtins to work the way I want them to.
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

You should be able to configure UE to open all files in one instance.

Since Editor2 only loads one file at a time, multiple files have to be loaded with multiple commands.
MKairys
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MKairys »

FrizzleFry wrote:Since Editor2 only loads one file at a time ...
Exactly my point. I would like to see more flexibility in specifying the external editor command so as to accomodate editors with more capabilities than the venerable Editor2.
robwg

Post by robwg »

This mostly works for me using UltraEdit ver 14 and I don't remember doing anything special to make it happen. Selecting multiple files and pressing F4 opens UltraEdit with each file in a tab.  Occasionally if a large file was selected first it ends up in its own window, although that doesn't seem to happen if it was selected last.

I agree that more flexibility in specifying the external editor/viewer would be useful.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

there's no difference between "external editor" and assigning a user command. You press F4 for the one and any keyboard shortcut you fancy for the other
MKairys
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MKairys »

Sure there are differences.

1.  External Editor appears in the File menu
2.  External Editor is an available toolbar button
3.  External Editor command is less customizable!
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

Try adding /foi to the external editor command line.
MKairys
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MKairys »

FrizzleFry wrote:Try adding /foi to the external editor command line.
Thank you!
Okay Nikos, never mind :)