Autorefresh is killing me !!!

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Randall

Autorefresh is killing me !!!

Post by Randall »

Read a few posts regarding this. Frankly, it is ridiculous that the refresh moves you back to the selected file !!! You scroll away and then bang, it pulls focus away...I have no idea why I never noticed this before.

View / hold autorefresh is not a solution, the option to not steal focus in the first place is the only one..I want refreshing with full control of my own computer...am I missing something here - cause this makes no sense to me..

Best Regards,
Randall
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

this is by design and you only see it when you scroll with the scrollbar; with keyboard you always see the focus. Easy solution: after you scroll, click anywhere to lock the current view around a new focused item
ZoNi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by ZoNi »

I agree with Randall - this autorefresh option is not problem in Win Explorer, Total Commander, freeCommander and others :(
appyface
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by appyface »

I've had that refresh 'feature' be annoying at times, too.  :-)  I can also appreciate that it works as it does by design and the way it works can be useful.

Perhaps an option in the x2settings editor to turn the focus jump off?  

I really love that program (the x2settings editor), would love to see more default options available there.  Example is whether 'sticky' selection is on or off as default, whether focus switches to dual pane automatically when dual pane is turned on, things like that.

Just another viewpoint :-)

--appyface
Ian

Post by Ian »

Since more users ask this, I would like to vote for appyface's idea too. But, I believe, we still need more people for Nikos to think about it.
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

Count me in then.  I have a MX Revolution mouse and it's free spinning wheel allows me to  reach the end of a long directory in a hurry - but that auto refresh has more than once killed me by taking me back to the top of the directory...

Ian

Post by Ian »

johngalt, glad you also vote for this. Hope more people would want this mod.

Anyway, I want to inform that there is a program called scroll++.
http://www.carltonbale.com/2007/02/how- ... oll-wheel/

That program allows you to scroll horizontal (not always works) and vertical by holding the right mouse button and move the mouse to the direction you want to scroll to.
It is autoscroll, so you would only need to move little bit and it will automatically scroll for you. Of course you could set how fast or sensitive, and other options.

With that program you could also have a mouse gesture to do back (circle counterclockwise) and forward (clockwise) on any applications (firefox, X2, etc.). Fast browsing on the net. It was not free, but since the company is not around anymore, it is free now. Hope you find it useful.

Ian
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

lol - Nah.  My MX Rev allows 360 scrolling because the wheel is a tilt wheel.   As far as mouse gestures are concerned, well, I don't use them - but I *do* use the heck out of the buttons on the Revolution....

But the main reason I got the mouse was because of the integrated back / forward buttons (great for browsing) and because of the hyperscroll wheel (that is what it is called) - if I start scrolling the when and the speed reaches a threshold, it converts from a click -to- click movement to a free wheel movement - and it is *super* fast.

Downside is that the Set Point software download is like 60+ MB - but it is well worth it.  Plus, it's Private Byte memory usage is only about 10 MB (64bit plus the 32bit extension)....

Randall

Post by Randall »

glad others seem to agree....I don't find it useful at all - at the very least, an option to turn the jump focus off is really required as suggested...

this is like a MS annoyance thing and exactly why I use programs like xplorer2...there in lies the contradiction...
Ian

Post by Ian »

360 Scrolling.. so, it can do horizontal and vertical scroll? And with special back and forward button. Plus, some words that I'm not familiar with. It got to be the most advanced mouse I've ever heard. No wonder its name is MX Revolution.

Mem usage only 10MB. It beats the scroll++, which currently is taking around 13MB on my PC.

My only concern is that, I'm using Windows XP that will revert back to its previous state upon restart. I don't really like to install anything on it as it will be gone on restart, so I like to use portable software. And making a mouse driver portable is something that I have never done before.
Anyhow, you seem happy and pleased with it. I will surely check on this new type of mouse when the time for me to change mouse has come.
Thanks telling me about your new toy.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the "show focus" behaviour is integral to how xplorer2 works. Without it eg you wouldn't see the folder you came out from when you go up a level

why don't you follow the simple remedy i recommended and click anywhere to secure the view in place?
Randall

Post by Randall »

Hi Nikos...not sure I understand exactly what your saying, but I certainly don't like the computer to take over and change focus on me. I know windows explorer doesn't do this...

I don't care about he refresh but changing focus automatically is no good - surely the option to turn this "feature" off is viable ? sure I can click and scroll, but I would prefer not too...beside the refresh is so frequent, if you scroll a lot in a big directory you don't want to be clicking in all over the place to maintain focus...
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

@ changing focus automatically is no good -
The x2 design actually maintains focus regardless of where you scroll until you tell it to change by clicking on another item.
I think you have a different meaning for what you call 'focus'.

In your initial post you said
View / hold autorefresh is not a solution, the option to not steal focus in the first place is the only one..I want refreshing with full control of my own computer...am I missing something here - cause this makes no sense to me.
Given the meaning of 'focus' for x2 (and the fact that it does not steal it), please say a bit about why Hold autorefresh (Ctrl+Alt+H) is not a solution.  What functionality is missing?
ZoNi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by ZoNi »

nikos wrote:why don't you follow the simple remedy i recommended and click anywhere to secure the view in place?
it is not always easy to do so - sometimes files are "moving" to fast, or I can that way accidentally click on another file (and I use "1-click-to-open" ;) )

anyway, this is (imho) still big minus for x2   :(
appyface
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by appyface »

I'm still experiencing this frustration a lot in a big directory, but I don't have an answer... I *do* like how x2 keeps track of the last focus you had on a file or folder, and you can find it very quickly.  

I tried working with autorefresh off but I find myself pressing CTRL-R a lot because most of the time I want the autorefresh.

For me the compromise would be to leave autorefresh on but have x2 NOT scroll the view to the focus.  If the folder or file with the focus (and I mean "blue highlight" or "blue selection" when I say "focus") is off the view then just leave it there, don't repaint the window to show me the focus, just repaint the portion of the window I'm viewing if the autorefresh had an effect on it.

Again just my viewpoint...
--appyface