Browse flat ONLY the folders no files?

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

appyface
Silver Member
Silver Member

Browse flat ONLY the folders no files?

Post by appyface »

I have a large volume and I'd like to get a list to the scrap pane of ONLY the folders and subfolders, but no files.  

I've searched this forum and the downloaded manual, but I just can't seem to find the right words to take me to where this is documented.

As a workaround, of course I can browse flat the entire volume (or selected folder branch), then use "refresh" to bring the folders into view, then finally I can mark and discard all the files.  With 1000's of files this takes a very long time, only to discard most of the effort.

There must be a way to do this efficiently, please point me?  Thanks as always and regards,

--appyface
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Try
Tools | Folder statistics... Alt+D
It creates a report in a separate window, which can be copied to a file of your choosing .
appyface
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by appyface »

Hi thanks for reply.  I know about that one, but that's not what I am after.  

I don't want a tree view, I want a flattened view in scrap pane.

Example:  

1. Highlight the top of any directory branch with multiple subdirectory levels, and choose File -> Browse flat.

2. Scrap pane is opened with all the files in those subdirectories.

3.  Execute "refresh" (ctrl-R) to refresh the scrap pane.  The subdirectory entries are now brought in to the list.

4.  Use filter to select all files only, not directory entries, and press delete key to remove them from the scrap pane.

What is left is what I'd like to get efficiently, without having to go through the above exercise and time.

Thanks again for help,
--appyface
tonne

Post by tonne »

You can choose to search in folders only in the find dialog.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

From the Ctrl+F dialogbox, check Search subfolders,uncheck Files, keeping Folders checked
That should get you the flat view of all folders specified in the Look in: field.
(But somehow, I thought you had tried that and were not satisfied with it.)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

or grab your root folder with the right mouse button, drop it in a scrap and from the context menu pick "extract subfolders"
appyface
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by appyface »

@fgagnon Thank you that works as long as I don't want to filter... then I have trouble making it work, as per my other post (I am still having trouble understanding when I should check and uncheck those boxes, and when I can specify a name string to match and when I have to go to advanced rules to make it work.)  But to get all folders, works great.  Thanks.

@nikos Thank you I did not know that trick.  I see once I have a folder in the scrap pane, I can right-click it and drag it just a little bit and get that pop-up shortcut menu there too.  Unfortunately it does not work with a group of highlighted folders, but if I just have one root one to browse it is another way to get the list.

Thanks for the help, best regards,
--appyface
appyface
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by appyface »

Revisiting this topic.  Now using 1.7.2.0.

I wish to see folders and subfolders, but no files, in a flattened view as above -- but today I also wish to limit the result to those folders that are zero length.

1.  I have browsed to a subdirectory on my disk in x2, contents of that subdirectory are in the right-hand pane, many subfolders and subfolders below those, and files

2. CTRL-F

3.  Dialog shows 'look in' as the main subdirectory I wish to search, and 'search subfolders' is checked

4.  I erase the 'named' box, uncheck 'files' to the right of it ('folders' is checked )

5.  Under additional rules I have added a single rule for 'size' -- min 0, max 0, boolean 'and'

I am returned ALL subfolders found in/below the main subdirectory... but I only want those that are 0 in size?

I changed the boolean to 'or', no difference -- I received the same list of folders.

For grins I changed the boolean to 'not' -- and received no list at all.

How do I get a flattened scrap-pane style list of empty folders at or below my selected directory?

Thanks and regards,
--appyface
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Folder entities do not have a native 'size' by themselves.
What is commonly understood as folder size is the size of their contents.

Instead of using an "Additional Rule" to filter on "Size", what you need is to filter on "Contents" = 0 max, 0 min.
But still UN-check files in the filter dialog to avoid getting hits on .cab files and the like which have "contents"=0 even though they 'contain' stuff.

HTH.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

and if that doesn't work, first flatten all folders then hit ctrl+D in the resulting scrap, wait till folder sizes are evaluated, then order by size, see which are 0 and remove them or whatever else you need
appyface
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by appyface »

@nikos - thanks, that's what I'd been doing, thought I could be more efficient :-)

@fgagnon - interesting info, thanks.  I guess I do think of a folder's 'size' as simply being the sum of its contents, so if it has no 'size' attribute at all I understand what you're saying.  One of those things where the technical implementation vs. functional use of the tool was not clear to me.

Do you know, I DID search here before posting, I found this:
  http://forum.zabkat.com/viewtopic.php?t=62 ... a7554d72fd

Sure enough that reads "contents" but my tired old brain didn't catch on.

I also looked at the user manual (1.7.2.0) before coming here.  Again it reads "contents".  All I can plead is that because I was expecting "size" my tired old brain was not willing to register "contents"!  Mea culpa.

You guys know that I DO look in the manual and search in here before posting.  Next time, just write, "I know you looked, but look again in the manual on page 155 and note the use of "contents" attribute."

Sorry guys.  Best regards,
--appyface
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

No need for apologies, nobody's saying RTFM. :)
appyface
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by appyface »

LOL But I *am* saying you should tell me RTFM... and throw me a bone, too  LOL

--appyface
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Okay, appyface, since you insist.  ;) ...
  •  RTFM,
         RTFM,
            RTFM !
Good doggie !  
Now here's a bone: Ask questions freely on the board when you cannot find the information you need in the manual. :spin:
Good doggie !  
appyface
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by appyface »

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: