Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

64 bit beta!

Post by nikos »

www.zabkat.com/Release_AMD64.7z (655KB)

this includes the registry settings editor and a 64 bit editor2. See the changelog for the subtle additions

there's no installer yet, just unpack anywhere and run. It will read in your old registration information if any and it will share your old settings, so the transition should be painless -- other than the odd crash :)

in case of crash please send me the minidump file from the temp folder (%TEMP%\x2minidump*.mdmp) along with an explanation of the circumstances

some tests i'd like to hear about in particular:

1. show in groups, use various columns and see if it behaves

2. Add a comment to a text file with alt+Z, then use ADS > Bundle, then unpack the bundle somewhere else and see if the comment still exists in the final file

the 32 bit version will follow soon, with all the little goodies added

thanks!
RickyF
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RickyF »

I had initial issues running the program after installing it. Unfortunately, I was unable to capture the error dialogs and no minidump was created.

The first problem was that the program complained that I might not have administrative rights to run it. Clicking OK took to me to the registration window. The registration window said the trial period had expired and I would need to buy or enter a license key. (This was unexpected as I only had installed the previous beta of the 64bit version a few days ago and no other version of xplorer2 pro had ever been installed on this virtual machine.)

The program then exited.

1. I permanently elevated X2 to run as administrator.

2. I found and entered my license key on the registration window.

Program works now, without complaint or error message.
  • Viewing in Groups seems to work just fine.

Adding a comment to a text file with alt+Z works fine.

The ADS->Bundle/Unbundle worked fine. The comment survived the trip.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

if you ran the older 64 bit version there could be a problem since i changed the registration to be shared with 32 bit just now. But from now on you should be able to run all versions in normal mode (not administrator)
quicksilver03

Post by quicksilver03 »

Same here:

- show in groups OK
- add comment, bundle, unpack and the comment was there
ckit
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by ckit »

Huge hug Nikos!

I have 32-bit installed here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\zabkat\xplorer2

and 64-bit here:
C:\Program Files\xplorer2

LOL :)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

now i have it bundled in a proper installer
www.zabkat.com/xplorer2_setup64.exe

can you please confirm that it installs and uninstalls ok since the installer itself is 32 bit hacked to use 64 bit folders? eg check it puts the program in c:\program files and not in the 32 bit fake equivalent

also, anybody using translations, can he check the translation DLLs? I bet they won't work with the 64 bit executable

finally, there's a checkbox in the installer that asks you to set x2 as the default for filesystem folders, does that work for you?

thanks
nikos
ckit
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by ckit »

License Agreement area is completely blank!
ckit
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by ckit »

It installed into "C:\Program Files (x86)" and not "C:\Program Files\" which is disappointing but ok given that the executables have different names.
ckit
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by ckit »

It uses the 32-bit version of Editor2 as well, I'm guessing I have to edit the registry to fix this too :(
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

can anybody else see this?
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

I first uninstalled the x86 version (via control panel) and agreed to remove all registry settings.

The installer does choose the default directory as (x86), however, changing it to the standard x64 \Program Files works fine.

All shortcuts reference the appropriate x2 - ed2 executables, and they invoke properly.

I then (as experiment) uninstalled the new x64 version which worked (all files removed from \Program Files\zabkat, though \zabkat itself was not removed).

It did not inquire as to whether I wished to remove the registry settings or not (like the x86 version had).

It did not remove the desktop shortcut it had created.

And it was not removed from the Control Panel list of installed programmes.

So, uh, it "kind of" works.   :?
ckit
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by ckit »

Kilmatead,
The License Agreement was visible to you?

This is how mine looks:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i can't believe that i did the x2 conversion "easily" and now we're stuck with the @"$()&& installer :crazy:

has anybody tried the checkbox that makes x2 default for filesystem folders?
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

nikos wrote:...has anybody tried the checkbox that makes x2 default for filesystem folders?
That part DOES seem to work.  Haven't used it in the wild enough to know if it catches everything, but initially it's grand.  (And useful, though I thought it went against your "non-integration" ethos.)

@ckit, yes the Licence Agreement was empty.  Though I would expect that in a Beta.  Perhaps he should include the line "I agree to assiduously use TrueImage for the freedom of screwing my filesystem and registry up."
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i bet the uninstaller fails to "undo" the filesystem registration so x2 remains the default app and people are potentially screwed?