(insufficient access rights?)

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

qz33

(insufficient access rights?)

Post by qz33 »

Ok,  I get this error

"Some items in the folder were not accessible (insufficient access rights?)".

What exactly does it mean?  Is there a way to find out which files were not accessible?

I am searching for files larger than 20MB on my WINDOWS drive.

What I am trying to do is see if Windows has hidden a secret pagefiel someplace.  Task Manager reports that my PF usage is 1.10 GB.  I have only allowed however a 768 MB pagefile in the settings.  No other drive is set up for one.  I am just trying to account for the difference.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

this means that you didn't have read rights for some folders. If that was during a search command you can use Tools > Search status to see the detailed log
qz33

Post by qz33 »

Thank you wise sage.  Notice I didn't say old.

Now I think the entry from the "Find files log" of interest would be this one

C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\Local Settings [EXCLUDED]

But I am listed as the owner and as having fulll permissions.
See the pic.

ImageImage

Any clue as to why Xplorer2 cannot search in there?
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

You may have stumbled on a folder in the "Find Blacklist"

May I presume you made this search attempt as Admin?
... in which case the default "Find Blacklist" entry is the folder you named in your post.    (...\Nethood may also be on the list.)

To defeat this 'feature', remove it from the Registry keys under
HKCU\Software\Zab...\xplorer2_UC.global\Find Blacklist
and make sure the remaining entries are in sequentially numbered keys with no gaps, beginning with 00.  If there are more than ten, note that the index counter is in HEX.  

If that is the only folder listed, change its name to a non-existent folder.
{I literally use "A non-existent folder"  ;) }
... repeat for each user that you want to remove all restrictions for.

HTH
Last edited by fgagnon on 2008 Oct 30, 01:43, edited 1 time in total.
snakebyte
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by snakebyte »

Off topic : You've got lot of drives there :roll: . Are all of these physical or did you use subst to create the virtual ones?
Help! I'm an AI running around in someone's universe simulator.
qz33

Post by qz33 »

fgagnon - Thank you.  Yes that is an odd feature.  I willl see how this all turns out.

snakebyte- Yeah they are all physical, but mostly just partitions.  Most of them are the result of experimentation.  For me it's also useful for backups.  If I have a 400 GB partition I just will not back it up and I like to use image programs so that I get sector perfect copies with as little fuss as possible.
qz33

Post by qz33 »

fgagnon - Does this require a restart?  I deleted the entries in both the UC and ANSI xplorer2 registry but it still refuses to search those two folders, "Nethood" and "Local Settings".
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

if you delete them both, then x2 will just recreate them. Leave one entry in the list, e.g. a dummy folder like c:\notexist and then x2 will not touch it.

this folder isn't why x2 complained about access rights in the first place though. Search the log for "error" or "@@@" to see what it is
kev
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kev »

why is there a find blacklist?! i find this incredibly annoying, a terrible feature!

i have to always go to the reg key in question and delete the paths because when i want to know if a file is on my harddisk, i don't want false results saying it isn't when it is sitting in my local settings or temp folder!

a shame i think that the 'omni-finder' doesn't find 'omni' (all)!
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

qz33 wrote:fgagnon - Does this require a restart?  I deleted the entries in both the UC and ANSI xplorer2 registry but it still refuses to search those two folders, "Nethood" and "Local Settings".
x2 must me closed (all instances) when you make the registry tweak. The settings will then be used when you next start x2.
qz33

Post by qz33 »

nikos wrote:if you delete them both, then x2 will just recreate them. Leave one entry in the list, e.g. a dummy folder like c:\notexist and then x2 will not touch it.

this folder isn't why x2 complained about access rights in the first place though. Search the log for "error" or "@@@" to see what it is
Allright, searching for that I only find this

"C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files @@@!Error!Windows error = 0: The operation completed successfully."