Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

admsupport
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

X2 & Sandoxie, is there a way?

Post by admsupport »

Hi,

I use a nice free app sandboxie to browse web content (on IE or FF) safely.

After a browsing session, all the files remain in a sandbox and can be access securely through Windows Explorer sandboxed.

However, if I chose to browse them from X2 sandboxed, X2 opens correctly (sandboxed) but asks me for my license, and close.

Is there a way?
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

As I understand it, sandboxie starts each session with a clean sandbox, which implies being isolated from x2 license verification checks.
One workaround would be to put your license key in a text file accessible to the sandbox and cut & paste it from there when you start x2 -- essentially a new installation, and a big nuisance.
Another workaround would be to use your portable x2 extended licence if you have one, and use the portable x2 (from USB stick).  Imperfect, but less messy that 1st workaround.  
nikos probably has a better approach.  :shrug:
admsupport
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by admsupport »

Has X2 a special license verification check?

I mainly use sandboxie to browse the web, but I did try opening some registered applications (Office MS, WinRAR, etc.) They open normally without requesting their license.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the full version has many, the portable version has none, but it can't be run from a hard disk, see www.zabkat.com/x2port.htm
admsupport
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by admsupport »

nikos wrote:the full version has many, the portable version has none, but it can't be run from a hard disk, see www.zabkat.com/x2port.htm
The way X2 operates license check is beyond my understanding, but would it be difficult to make X2 able to run in a sandboxe (without affecting your software protection?) That's maybe an exotic request :wink: ?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

only the portable version would run in this box
admsupport
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by admsupport »

nikos wrote:only the portable version would run in this box
sure, understood. But I was talking about the install.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

that's classified information!
admsupport
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by admsupport »

nikos wrote:that's classified information!
of course :lol:  but I meant it as a wish for a future release. if it feasible without risking to lose the main income for beer & bread :wink:
otlaolap
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by otlaolap »

For me, with my licensed Sandboxie and my licensed Xplorer2, there is no difference in the behavior of Xplorer2 in or outside of the sandbox.  It just works.  Of course, in the sandbox all the file changes stay in the sandbox.

I've never seen a license hiccup using the sandbox.
admsupport
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by admsupport »

otlaolap wrote:For me, with my licensed Sandboxie and my licensed Xplorer2, there is no difference in the behavior of Xplorer2 in or outside of the sandbox.  It just works.
That's interesting otlaolap. Free sandboxie on my side (same feature but only 1 sandboxe at the time) and licensed X2.

After reading you, I did try opening X2 in a sandbox, not from the sandboxie windows this time but using the contextual menu (right click) on a X2 shortcut and it worked fine (as stated in your post).

but that was not a lasting happy news, since the second time I re-opened X2 in the same way, the error message re-appeared, and it fails continuously ever since.

However no problem when I run X2 from its shortcut or from the program files. I have deleted the License registration key and entered my license again, same result :?
Cosmo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cosmo »

Just a guess, I did not try it myself:

Run x2 pro once with sandboxie shut down. The next time x2 should read all necessary info from the not-sandboxed registry.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i wouldn't waste my time trying; the trial registration process is way too sneaky for such sandboxes ;)
admsupport
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by admsupport »

Cosmo wrote:Just a guess, I did not try it myself:

Run x2 pro once with sandboxie shut down. The next time x2 should read all necessary info from the not-sandboxed registry.
Thanks Cosmo, it works :ok:  I did shut down the SB and did open X2 sandboxed 2 times and that went fine.

I will try a few more times after reboot tomorrow and confirm on the thread, but it seems to be fine (not sure though if I will have to stop SB each time before running X2 in a sandbox?).

Do you use sandboxie yourself? What made you think about this?
Cosmo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cosmo »

I had tried sandboxie some time ago to find out, what and how it does. I do not use it, because for my needs I prefer using a virtual machine. But I remembered (at the time I gave you the tip) what I had read and learned at the time of sandboxie trial. According to this x2 should from now on work fine in conjunction with sandboxie; that does not mean, that I find this very useful, because if I do anything in the file system this is not only for the actual Windows session (only my opinion).