Request for features

Chitchat about x² / 2X products

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Rudyg

Request for features

Post by Rudyg »

Great application!!!
Following is a list of features that would be very helpful on a future release:
1. Dragging files should not make 2XExplorer the topmost window. For example, when I use MSN Messenger and I want to drag a file on top of the msn messenger then 2xExplorer comes on top of MSN messenger window and completely covers it so I have to resize the 2XExplorer then drag. I noticed Xplorer2 (alpha) behaves like Windows Exlporer in this case which means it doesn't become topmost window when dragging an item from it.
2. View Details should show the Attributes as well. This is very useful in clearcase environment where I need to know which files are set to read-only.
3. Grea idea about the bookmarks, but can we have more than just 5 bookmarks?
4. Need and easy way to re-assign bookmark for another folder location.
6. It is unclear what the function of the bookmark icon of the control panel now that we can have multiple bookmarks.
7. The back button should have a right click option to popup the history of previous folder paths. Similar to Windows Explorer; however, one thing I don't like about Windows Explorer is that identical folder names from different paths can't be distinguished. So an enhancement would be to somehow show they are different without showing the entire path because some path names are too long and become unreadable. Also note that the back popup menu would be different depending on which pane is active.
8. The tooltips of the drive letters on the left pane should display the drive Label as well. I have 12 drives mounted to my pc and can't remember them by letter but by their label.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

attribute columns exist in xplorer2

for more than 5 (6) bookmarks, see FAQ #20. To reassign a bookmark just overwrite it with the new assignment (press [Ctrl+Shift+NUMBER] again). The toolbar button corresponds to bookmark [Ctrl+1]

i can't understand your question #8. The left pane (tree?) does show drive labels as well as drive letters, albeit not as tooltips
Rudyg

Post by Rudyg »

Thanks for your quick reply.
I saw FAQ #20 but it really isn't as quick as current method. Will send you email with sample of my code that I use to create multiple shortcuts and dynamically enlarge main-frame menu. My application is different but the idea is the same.
I tried pressing [Ctrl+Shift+NUMBER] to reassign an existing shortcut but didn't work.

Dismiss number 8. My mistake.

Replace number 8 with the following:
In Windows Explorer pressing [ALT+ENTER] gives the properties of the selected items. This is not available anymore in 2xExplorer. Righ click and selecting properties works fine; however, it's not as fast as [ALT+ENTER]. I am sure you know well what I mean once you get used to keyboard shortcuts it's not as easy to go back to using the mouse.[/code]
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

[C+S+#] does work for overwriting
make sure you press everything at once and the number comes from the main keyboard; then a message on the status bar will confirm the change

the shortcut for item properties is F12. [Alt] in 2x is used for changing folders for the inactive pane, as explained in keyboard.txt
Rudyg

Post by Rudyg »

Great!!! [C+S+#] does work for overwriting. My mistake was pressing the # from the keypad instead of the main keyboard.

Thank You.