Xplorer² Portable on Hard Disks?

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Thracx
Silver Member
Silver Member

Xplorer² Portable on Hard Disks?

Post by Thracx »

I was about to purchase a portable build/license to X² but noticed the restriction on where the application can be executed from - it can't be run from internal hard disks?  How about network shares / remote UNC paths?

I understand the need for this extra layer of security but I do not have access to any removable storage on a machine I use daily :cry:.

Is there any chance that this restriction would be lifted in the future?
-Thracx

"Man wants to know, and when he ceases to do so, he is no longer a man."
-Fridtjof Nansen
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

Hmmm - I think the portable version is for not only external HDs but UFDs as well - mine works perfectly well off my UFD.

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the portable version works off anything as long as it is removable, e.g. USB stick, cdrom etc.

in the future i'm thinking of scrapping the portable version for an "enterprise" version that will be much easier to install and run, without any such limitations
Thracx
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Thracx »

nikos wrote:in the future i'm thinking of scrapping the portable version for an "enterprise" version that will be much easier to install and run, without any such limitations
That makes me happy :-).

How would the enterprise version 'install'?  No HKLM or system folders needed, and no removable storage requirements?  Unfortunately that's what I need :cry:...
-Thracx

"Man wants to know, and when he ceases to do so, he is no longer a man."
-Fridtjof Nansen
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

it would install anywhere like the portable version but it would also need a licence file. Even a mere copy would "install" it but for advanced tweaks (eg explorer replacement) you'd need a proper installation