I Curse the Win 7 Bird and it's Floating Grass...

Products and tips

Moderator: Site Mods

Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I Curse the Win 7 Bird and it's Floating Grass...

Post by Kilmatead »

Given that the boys and girls at Redmond are always fond of "all things twee" - they didn't miss a beat in making Vista SP3 (sorry, "Windows 7") include some stupid bird on some stupid grass for a login/welcome/exit screen wallpaper.

Really, who thinks of such unprofessional tree-hugging peacenik nonsense? :wink:

On the plus side, it is now possible to change this background to whatever you wish... personally I prefer straight black, but that's personal choice.  Anything but the damn bird.

And so some nice soul created the Logon Screen Changer, a simple utility which requires no installation and only does what it says, replacing the old screen with whatever image you wish.

Thought someone else might find it useful...
ZoNi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by ZoNi »

I like W7 logon screen (nice colors), but I haven't even notice that bird :) I don't look it ;)
IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp »

@_@ An olive branch and a dove?! I'd rather have hanged babies over a hellish fiery background for my welcome screen.
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

Win7 is overrated. Worse than Vista.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp »

Tuxman wrote:Win7 is overrated. Worse than Vista.
You've convinced me.
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

Now that was easy.

For those who need more details:
  1. Win7's "taskbar" is broken.
    "Broken" means: I can't use it as a task bar anymore. There is no way to separate open, closed and minimized windows from each other. The "visual" separation (button color etc.) only (!) depends on the used theme.
  2. Less configurability.
    While we're at it: You can't remove that "show desktop" badge. You can't disable that "pin to taskbar" thingy. Edit: You could. Oh, and:
  3. The "classic start menu" is gone.
    While you might be used to the extra-wide multi-column thingy that doesn't even support hovering popups anymore, I can't see the point in removing the old one. In fact, it is a feature loss.
  4. Paint and WordPad are visually cluttered.
    OK, maybe these "ribbon bars" are a good idea. However, as wide screen displays become regular, adding higher bars is counter-productive. And, seriously, you can't tell me that Paint really has any advantages of them. Heck, I wonder when Microsoft will add these bars to calc and notepad?!
In other words: Win7 is like Microsoft's answer to Dumbuntu Linux (no, I won't use the actual name). More eye-candy, less flexibility. Patronizing paying customers. "Big brother knows what's best for you..."
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp »

I skipped Vista (well, I kind of operated on it a couple of hours) so I can't really compare my experience with it vs. windows 7, but what you've presented is merely a matter of taste rather than core functionality, so it's a bit too much to say w7 is worse than Vista based on statements mostly regarding aesthetic elements.

I'm productivity oriented too and I don't find the taskbar being that bad. I set the taskbar buttons to never combine and I've unpinned all the crap, also I don't right click taskbar buttons that much, so that menu is of no annoyance to me. The only thing I miss is sorting buttons the way I want (using a 3rd party utility). W7 is forcing me to move entire groups left or right and I don't want that always. Still, a minor inconvenience.

At the beginning I too was missing the old start menu, but I'm pretty happy with the way I have it configured now (looks and functionality wise without the help of any tool, just available options) and I find myself liking it more (using it more) that I used the classic XP one.

And Paint? Who cares how Paint looks like, I think I didn't open it once in 2 years, and kids tend to like cluttered stuff so it's perfect for the small ones. Then WordPad- I use it on a daily basis (I actually prefer it over a suite of other text editors for more than a couple of reasons when it comes to rtf files), I really like it the way it is now.

I think you'd have to present more convincing issues about w7 in contrast to Vista. Something that affects everyone at a functional level.
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

Let me rephrase & comment your posting en detail...
IneedHelp wrote:I skipped Vista (well, I kind of operated on it a couple of hours) so I can't really compare my experience with it vs. windows 7, but what you've presented is merely a matter of taste rather than core functionality, so it's a bit too much to say w7 is worse than Vista based on statements mostly regarding aesthetic elements.
"I don't have a clue what you are talking about but missing features are not a loss of functionality."

What else then?
IneedHelp wrote:I set the taskbar buttons to never combine and I've unpinned all the crap
... and still you haven't restored taskbar functionality ...
IneedHelp wrote:also I don't right click taskbar buttons that much, so that menu is of no annoyance to me.
"I try to avoid accidentally using the new 'functionality' as I know it is rather annoying."
IneedHelp wrote:The only thing I miss is sorting buttons the way I want (using a 3rd party utility). W7 is forcing me to move entire groups left or right and I don't want that always. Still, a minor inconvenience.
"OK, Microsoft forces me to change my usage behavior, but I'm happy with that."

Indeed, Microsoft knows best what is good for you!
IneedHelp wrote:At the beginning I too was missing the old start menu, but I'm pretty happy with the way I have it configured now (looks and functionality wise without the help of any tool, just available options) and I find myself liking it more (using it more) that I used the classic XP one.
"After a lot of work I could better have done with more productive things, I finally managed to configure the imposed new "feature" in a way it is less aggravating."

See above.
IneedHelp wrote:And Paint? Who cares how Paint looks like, I think I didn't open it once in 2 years, and kids tend to like cluttered stuff so it's perfect for the small ones.
"OK, Paint has become a counter-productive bling-bling thingy but I don't care."

Sigh.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp »

A wonderful display of talent at twisting words.

I did admit I didn't operate on Vista, but you said Windows 7 is worse than Vista, and as far as I know worse is the comparative of bad, so unless you think Vista (as a bad OS) is better than XP, I'd say I do have a clue about what I was talking (since I mainly compared W7's features to XP's).

Furthermore, only an advanced and prolific user [like you] could be concerned with extra task-bar buttons contextual menu items, "show desktop" badges, start menu width, Paint(!) and WordPad cluttering, because it's these main elements that determine overall productivity and satisfaction within an OS' environment. Things like compatibility, support, performance and stability are minor aspects, not worthy to be taken into consideration when it comes to comparing an operating system to another.

Yes, it may seem that Microsoft forces me to change my usage behavior, but it doesn't force me to buy its operating systems, nor does it force me to pirate them. When I decide to install and run any OS on my machine, I'm ready to accept its (changed) features and limitations.
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

IneedHelp wrote:A wonderful display of talent at twisting words.
Thanks, it took me a while to get that far.
IneedHelp wrote:I did admit I didn't operate on Vista, but you said Windows 7 is worse than Vista, and as far as I know worse is the comparative of bad, so unless you think Vista (as a bad OS) is better than XP, I'd say I do have a clue about what I was talking (since I mainly compared W7's features to XP's).
Vista is better than XP.
(Well, to be honest: Except its file manager, probably.)
IneedHelp wrote:only an advanced and prolific user [like you] could be concerned with extra task-bar buttons contextual menu items, "show desktop" badges, start menu width, Paint(!) and WordPad cluttering
It is not a concern about too many features, it is a concern about the general usability of Win7 which has decreased significantly.
IneedHelp wrote:overall productivity and satisfaction
Precisely! I can't be more productive with more GUI bling-bling coming into my way. Can you?
IneedHelp wrote:it may seem that Microsoft forces me to change my usage behavior, but it doesn't force me to buy its operating systems
"Don't like it? Don't use it!". Again: Precisely!
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp »

Tuxman wrote:Win7 is overrated. Worse than Vista.
...and then your signature:

Tux. ; tuxproject.de ; Windows Seven & XP 32/64
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009

Makes perfect sense.
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

Know your enemy. Also, downgrading without a data loss is rather difficult. I would if I easily could.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp »

Tuxman wrote:Know your enemy.
That's actually funny given the context of this topic.
Tuxman wrote:Also, downgrading without a data loss is rather difficult. I would if I easily could.
Assuming you upgraded, how drunk were you to do it (from whatever) to W7 without giving it a test-run first on some other computer or on a virtual computer?

Assuming you did a fresh install, well... let's say that's just disappointing.
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

I was bored, not actually drunk ...
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
DrRex

Re: I Curse the Win 7 Bird and it's Floating Grass...

Post by DrRex »

Kilmatead wrote:Given that the boys and girls at Redmond are always fond of "all things twee" - they didn't miss a beat in making Vista SP3 (sorry, "Windows 7") include some stupid bird on some stupid grass for a login/welcome/exit screen wallpaper.
Yeah, Give me a beautiful glowing black burning oil slick over a stupid duck, Black Flag over the Beatles, and black charred buildings in London over a bunch of bed wetting peacenik idiots plaaanting Treeeeez and slowing down this sissy over-watered blue planet's self destruct process ANY DAY!

Long Live Death, Investor Greed, Self Regulating Corporations, Unmonitored Off Shore Drilling, Voter Ignorance, the immediate mindless crushing out of any flicker or sign of eco-awareness by any dominant Monopoly, Media Brainwashing, & all shades of blackness everywhere. HoooHa!  

...or something like that.
No matter where you go ...there you are.
                                                            -DrRex