new toy

Chitchat about x² / 2X products

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

new toy

Post by nikos »

I've been busy with a new "technology" for a new range of products and i found a useful toy to play with
www.zabkat.com/ezUpload.7z (150KB)

it's a program that lets you quickly upload images to tinypic & imageshak for use eg in this forum, from clipboard straight in this message!

the above picture was taken with <alt+printscreen> hit the upload button and then after a few seconds <ctrl+C> and here it is
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

If it is only about screenshots, I would recommend ZScreen which can basically do the same.

:)
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

what are the chances nowadays of having something unique?
does this ZScreen give you easy access to the final uploaded URL?
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

nikos wrote:what are the chances nowadays of having something unique?
ZScreen FAQ wrote:Why does ZScreen not close when I press the X on the top right of the window?

ZScreen does not close when you do this, it will stay open in the tray. If you want to close it you can right click on the tray icon and choose Exit ZScreen.
What is it about the trend in utilities that everyone feels free to park things in the tray without asking?  Yes, I know it uses virtually no resources, clock cycles, etc, but it's more the implied "I'm useful so you really want to use me even if you don't need to right now" sort of thing that peeves me.

When did Close stop meaning Close?  Bloody rude.  Rather like the ubiquity of "Use our toolbar!" nonsense.  (Sorry Nikos, I know you like your few toolbar pennies in your beer. :wink:)

Never mind unique, there's a lot to be said for respectful.
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

nikos wrote:what are the chances nowadays of having something unique?
does this ZScreen give you easy access to the final uploaded URL?
Yep, you can click the balloon tip or choose the URL from your history list.
Kilmatead wrote:When did Close stop meaning Close?
Close Window still means Close Window. However, it never meant to be Exit Application, right?
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Tuxman wrote:...it never meant to be Exit Application, right?
Why not?  At least when TSR's were all the rage they were claimed as such - if nothing else than as a bravado point from the coder (it was hard work back then, no C#/.NET cheats to create gimmicks with).

Nine times out of ten, the "big red button with an X" is understood by the common man to be the same thing as the locks on chastity belts (without the unpleasant afterthoughts of personal hygiene) :shock:.

Methinks TSR was replaced by the word "minimize"... which means Close the Window... as any seasoned backpacker knows, big red X's always imply Exit, Sortie, der Notausgang, what have you.

Granted, it's useful for things like security applications, and hardware controllers, and user-apps that are genuinely needed - but when every little thing in the world comes with a self-aggrandizing smiley icon that just won't die, and an attitude of inevitability, it makes me feel ill.

(Don't mind me, I just spent a few days "cleaning" the bundled "crapware" from multiple new OEM laptops - I'm a little sensitive to applications "inviting themselves" to dinner without asking.  Just needed a rant. :D)
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

Kilmatead wrote:Granted, it's useful for things like security applications, and hardware controllers, and user-apps that are genuinely needed
So it is also useful for ZScreen, right? Taking screenshots is something which should be possible without having to open a new application first.

:)

But you are right, I just had a look: There is no way to disable this behavior, so it may turn into an annoyance.
I think I'll report it as a bug then.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

You must upload an awful lot of screenshots.  :wink:

Seriously though, the idea of automatic drag'n'drop uploading of photos is nice (not that ImageShack is rocket science), but most screenshots tend to need a bit of cropping or recanvassing first, as say a blunt 1920x1200 image looks a bit rude to someone on a 12-inch screen without broadband.

fgagnon would cry with what havoc we'd've wrought.  After all, there must be some reason this forum takes up - what - less than a third of widescreen space?  I'm guessing all that blank space is where the invisible elves live...

I'm rambling, off topic.  Ah well.  It's raining in Eire.

Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

Kilmatead wrote:You must upload an awful lot of screenshots.  :wink:
I do. ;)
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Does this thing allow for auto-resizing or pre-processing linkage to an editor?  (The bit about non-termination put me off installing it to try... but the idea is growing on me.)
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

Kilmatead wrote:Does this thing allow for auto-resizing
It does:

Kilmatead wrote:or pre-processing linkage to an editor?
It does:

(Instead of uploading immediately, that is.)
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Ok, fine; you win.  I could find a use for this.  (Hopefully the author might take pity and allow for disabling the TSR.)

Thanks.  :D

Not to be confused with this product, for those Googling - the proper link is here.  :shock:
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

Kilmatead wrote:(Hopefully the author might take pity and allow for disabling the TSR.)
He did:

So I thank you, too. ;)

(edit: :lol: @ ZScreen.com)
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

I don't often swear (well, ok, the Irish wouldn't be Irish without it), but Holy F%#ing Bejeezus - 117 minute turnaround from table to turd?  You've got to be kidding.

I think nikos just shat himself.

The pace of change in this world is scary.

I'm impressed.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

so who's going to do some testing on my poor little offspring?  :crying: