MOV and FLV thumbnails not loading, and...

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

saebin

MOV and FLV thumbnails not loading, and...

Post by saebin »

So in windows explorer thumbnails for flv and mov videos show up, but not with xplorer2.  Is it possible to get these working in xplorer2?

I am using Windows 7 64bit and the Shark007 codecs.

Also, Windows 7 removed the option to disable "align to grid" in explorer so thumbnails and icons are forced to be in a grid layout where in XP you could move them wherever you want (like the desktop).  Does this option exist somewhere in xplorer2?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

you can increase the thumbnail extraction bytesize limit from tools > options > general

you can't arrange things "desktop like" in xplorer2
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

nikos wrote:you can increase the thumbnail extraction bytesize limit from tools > options > general
No, I don't think that's the issue in this case; .FLV files have never had thumbnails as long as I can remember (Vista, et al)... (I don't know about .MOV files, as I don't have any).  Neither do MKV files, but they don't display in Windows Explorer either.  However, most other video formats do display thumbs in x2... AVI, WMV, etc.

FLV thumbnails however, only display just fine in WE, just not in X2.

(I use the Shark codecs as well (x86 and x64), but the same applies to K-Lite, etc. - .FLV just don't have thumbnails in x2 via x64).
ckit
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by ckit »

No, FLV's can have thumbnails!

You need the 64-bit version of flvsplitter.ax for x64 xplorer2 pro and 32-bit for 32-bit...

I must admit with the new version, I'm having trouble getting the thumbnails to work as well but I'll keep playing with it...

Update:
You need Haali Media Splitter installed and Thumbnail Extraction enabled but v2.0 which is in private beta hasn't been released yet and it's the only version to support Windows 7.
saebin

Post by saebin »

nikos wrote:you can't arrange things "desktop like" in xplorer2
Does anyone know of an explorer alternative that is able to do this? I liked this feature :(

All of the ones I have tried dont seem to have this option... but probably would have some other issue if it did... dang microsoft, they really should allow the user to tweak the explorer ui.
No, FLV's can have thumbnails!

You need the 64-bit version of flvsplitter.ax for x64 xplorer2 pro and 32-bit for 32-bit...
Hmmm, good to know, I'll give this a shot.  Any ideas for mov files?  

Also, would fixing this simply mean having x2 look for codecs for flv/mov files to create thumbnails?  It seems tied in with other video files and codecs... and in windows xp I believe I was able to add additional file extensions (for windows explorer) by a simple registry adjustment for mp4, flv, and mov files.  Perhaps it is more complicated in this case.

Thanks for the help so far.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Revisiting this perplexing thing a few months on, and I found an inexplicable solution to the FLV thumbnails, with an equally inexplicable need to do it manually.

If one visits the registry key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.flv\ShellEx one may find that it has a sub key labelled '{e357fccd-a995-4576-b01f-234630154e96}' with a value of '{c5a40261-cd64-4ccf-84cb-c394da41d590}'.

Exactly how this got there I am uncertain (I imagine the codec does it by default).  In short, for some reason the sub key doesn't agree with x2 (though it works fine with WE, weirdly).

The solution is to create another sub-key called '{bb2e617c-0920-11d1-9a0b-00c04fc2d6c1}' and give it the same value as above ('{c5a40261-cd64-4ccf-84cb-c394da41d590}').

Log off, and back on, and x2 will happily display FLV thumbnails.

Ordinarily one would create a reg script to do this, but for some reason every time I tried, it created the key all right, but the usual "@=" failed to apply the value to it (this confused me no end, as all the permissions seemed in place).  In any event, if you apply the value manually it will work fine.

Makes absolutely no sense, but it works for me, so for the first time (ever!) I have FLV thumbnails in x2.  Go figure. :shrug:  Hope it works for someone else, too.

Still can't get MKV thumbs to work though, even with the integration options in Haali Splitter set to positive and the appropriate keys in place.

I hate codecs.  I hate registries.  But Olympic female Norwegian Speedskaters I do like.  That's my fact of the day. :D
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

it looks like you've independently rediscovered thumbnail extractors
www.zabkat.com/blog/25May08.htm
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

nikos wrote:it looks like you've independently rediscovered thumbnail extractors
The irony is I was actually trying to get x2 to extract .xcf (Gimp format) thumbnails (once I found a viewer that could do it handily enough) so I figured I could piggy-back something off it.  That part hasn't worked yet :cry:, but when all the handlers for MOV, AVI, etc started looking the same I remembered this topic and connected the dots.

Still can't explain the permissions thing (as relates creating reg scripts), or why MKV's are so stubborn - but it's fun to do things back-ass-wards. :D
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Ah hah!  For anyone interested, configuring the H264 codec to use FFDshow codec (not the MS default) will allow MKV thumbnails.  That'll teach me to play around with Haali behind her boyfriend's back.

Lot of trouble for something so stupid.  (At least they all work now.)  :roll: