Drive Bar

Chitchat about x² / 2X products

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

jbairen

Drive Bar

Post by jbairen »

One of the features I liked most about 2xExplorer was the drive bar. That is the feature I miss the most in xplorer2. Can that be added to the features of explorer2?

Love the program by the way! Thanks for the great work and for making it free!
Prefect

ooh! yeah!

Post by Prefect »

I was surprised the drive bar was missing in this release, but that I use X2 despite having no drive bar is a testament to just how dang cool X2 is!

One thing that was missing from 2X that I pray gets added to X2 is a way to create buttons that link to favorite directories. It is basically the drive bar but with buttons that point to customizable paths or scripts or applications. (kind of like Bookmarks, but on buttons!)

You know Nikos, you really ought to set up a page with feature requests, and place a paypal link next to each feature, and every week implement the feature that has the most donated money next to it. I'd pay at least a couple of copies of windows XP worth of money to have you do my bidding on occasion :D

(lovin X2, thank you!)
zippit
Silver Member
Silver Member

History

Post by zippit »

This would seem to be the answer to customizable paths but i havn't done to well.
:(
War is Hell
Lest We Forget.
Morning Star
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Morning Star »

Personally, I don't miss the drive bar at all. It always just seemed like clutter to me, and what I like most about x2 is the lovely, clean interface. However, I suppose that customizable buttons would be quite useful...

Nikos, if you do bow to this (or other) pressure, please please please make whatever changes optional... :wink:
It is my job to comfort the disturbed,
and to disturb the comfortable.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

set up a page with feature requests, and place a paypal link next to each feature, and every week implement the feature that has the most donated money next to it
good idea, but judging from the amount of donations up to now, i'd be staying idle all the time. You people are lucky that i really fancy writing software and don't care about money too much :)
anyway

xplorer2 has a long way to go
the idea is to have it working well enough so that people would be bothered to give it a test. In that sense, one bookmark is good enough for the moment (see FAQ#20)

there is one list of features brewing up
basically whatever was in 2x will be ported to x2, usually improved in one way or other. Toolbar customization is a tricky thing which will be delayed after the core functionality is sorted
zippit
Silver Member
Silver Member

Drive bar

Post by zippit »

I do a lot of file moveing from one drive to the other or one folder to the other and the "drive bar" is what makes it so easy. :D
with equal panes selected.
Are you sure you don't see the benefit of this ?
:(
War is Hell
Lest We Forget.
Morning Star
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Morning Star »

Well, I always have the tree showing (I couldn't live without it), so I don't need the drive bar... but customizable buttons would be useful for quickly navigating to dirs deep within a tree structure somewhere (just like bookmarks ;)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

also the [Ctrl+Shift+DRIVE_LETTER] keyboard shortcut is a handy (pun intended) substitute untill a proper drivebar is attached
zippit
Silver Member
Silver Member

oops

Post by zippit »

Am i in the wrong place ?
A mouse click on the drive bar is easier than Quote:
Posted: May Thu 29, 2003 6:26 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

also the [Ctrl+Shift+DRIVE_LETTER
What do you mean by tree showing ?
:roll:
Are you sure you have understood all the benefit of 2xExplorer ?
:roll:
War is Hell
Lest We Forget.
Morning Star
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Morning Star »

The tree showing means that I can see the drive/directory tree in a window often covering the left side if the 2x window. It is invaluable for navigating complex directory structures. I only usually use one pane, because mostly that is all I need (but the scrap pane in x2 rocks :)

Also, a mouse click may not be easier than a keyboard shourtcut... it depends on whether you tend to keep your hand near the keys or not....
zippit
Silver Member
Silver Member

I found the tree

Post by zippit »

I like 2 panes.
:D
War is Hell
Lest We Forget.
Pilot

Post by Pilot »

Also, a mouse click may not be easier than a keyboard shourtcut... it depends on whether you tend to keep your hand near the keys or not....
It all depends on what you're doin' and your mood : For short operation, i prefer mouse modality while i need keyboard to be efficient on longer actions. Having both of them available at any time is part of the strength of 2x/x2.

About the treeview : it seems natural to display the hierarchy but finally i can live without it : I always go to the same folders on different drives and once I have wandered a little about my folder using the treeview, it is all expanded and i cannot avoid using the scroll bar to reach the good drive.

=> So, here come the drive bar and, why not, the customizable path buttons
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the drivebar will be added eventually

in the meantime xplorer2's tree without FTCOPT_AUTOSYNCVIEW (the default) can be used as "drivebar" since it never gets expanded below "My Computer"
dda

Post by dda »

The Shift-Ctrl-<driveletter> method suggested here works well as a temporary fix for all but the D drive.

Shift-Ctrl-D does not work on 0.35.

CORRECTION:
=========

Shift-Ctrl-D does not work on 0.35.
IF
FTCOPT_AUTOSYNCVIEW 16 /* keep tree in sync with view */
is selected!!!!

I have experiemnted with this & personally, I have gone back to
binTreeOptions = 3

but I wanted to report the behaviour.
nikos
Site Admin