Perspicuity and The Man in the Gabardine Suit ("was a...")

Products and tips

Moderator: Site Mods

Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Perspicuity and The Man in the Gabardine Suit ("was a..

Post by Kilmatead »

Having just "lost" 20 minutes of my life (removing corneal light reflections) changing this:

into this:

...(and doing a piss-poor job of it) I can safely say photo editing is not my forte - but it's fun to play with from time to time.  And everybody always likes playing those games where you "spot the difference" between two pictures and whoever counts the most, wins.  (Ah, youthful innocence before discovering the gratifying violence of video games.)

Amusingly, there's a site called Photoshop Disasters where people (apparently) do nothing but post pictures of obvious screw-ups found in magazines.  In truth, it's interesting for about 10 minutes before you get kind of bored and start craving chocolate again - sometimes just ending up somewhat confused saying to yourself "Where's the mistake? Looks fine to me."

But there's always one guy who decides to look at these things forensically (those television cop shows have a lot to answer for), and take it to the next level where things get really interesting.

What happens when you play that "before and after" game when you don't have the original picture?

See this with a follow-up here.  What starts out as a simple "find the errors" evolves into a fascinating lesson in photo-foolery.

* (Warning to Tuxman: reading these links requires spending time looking at a skinny chick, so you might want to go study for your exams or something useful like arbitrarily deciding which parts of your website will be in English and which will not. :wink:)

For those interested, there's another interesting study done by the same bloke here.