Add find-as-you-type search to x2

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Patrick125

Add find-as-you-type search to x2

Post by Patrick125 »

I've been trying x2 for a few days, and it's great! I really like the perfect support for shell extensions (even including these column handlers abandoned by windows vista&7) I've never seen in other third-party file managers. But the lack of find-as-you-type search feature is a little annoying to people who prefer keyboard like me: if I want to select a file from the file list, I have to type the filename from the beginning. I have no chance to fix typos and need to fight with the timeout.

Fortunately I found a freeware utility that resolved the problem perfectly and I can't wait to share it with all of you. The homepage is http://www.listary.com/ and you can download it here. After installation, you can type any part of the filename to select a file in x2. Enjoy it :D

Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

While its private working set memory is a little high for a utility of this sort, he's right - it works great and integrates with x2 perfectly.

Handles x64 without a bother as well.  No conflicts to report as yet.

Thanks for the suggestion.
vserghi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by vserghi »

This is a great little find. Installed and using it now.

Nice one.
Vas
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

this is an interesting find
xplorer2 has a less snazzy quicksearch mode (Mark menu) that can be used for both selecting and filtering

the plan is to add a find-as-you-type box for the next version
kunkel321
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kunkel321 »

nikos wrote:the plan is to add a find-as-you-type box for the next version
Yes please! :)
BuBBy

Post by BuBBy »

Listary Pro is available for 24 hours - @ http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/listary/
(Non-commercial use only).
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Should also be noted:
1) No free technical support
2) No free upgrades to future versions
Personally I went back to the 2.0 version as all the recent "updates" have added annoying stuff that can't be disabled.  Bloody good utility though, no matter what version one partakes of, considering:
nikos wrote:the plan is to add a find-as-you-type box for the next version
Somebody seems to have forgotten about this.  :roll:
BuBBy

Post by BuBBy »

As I said in the GOTD comments - Listary is worth grabbing even if just the free (non-pro) version (it doesn't feel like a free/crippled program).

Would be nice if I could get the same level of integration as Listary has with TC actually replacing file dialogs (say inside Microsoft Office) with x2.

If you want features disabled - you should ask Channing (the developer) to allow disabling those options. He is pretty good when the requests are reasonable (he added support for x2 when I asked for it).
IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp »

You have  19 hours 2 minutes to download and install it.
Aaahaha! More like
You have  19 hours 2 minutes to pirate this software.
This giveaway of the day is funny. They provide a zip with the same executable found on the listary site and an activator that retrieves a registration code which can be grabbed from the registry... they basically shared the latest version's pro license to everybody for free and forever.

Nikos should apply too :D
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

BuBBy wrote:If you want features disabled - you should ask Channing (the developer) to allow disabling those options.
Yeah, we've traded a few emails... but the only thing I would really ask for is to make it bare-bones - which, um, is pretty much what 2.0 is. :wink:  And then there are things that already can be disabled (like "track this") which blatantly don't seem to work (at least as I understood it).  Like I said, I've nothing but praise for it, but I do get the feeling that it's getting too intrusive for my acetic tastes... and, to be honest, I wouldn't even know how to ask for some things to be disabled, as I know exactly why they're in there in the first place - but to me it's all clutter. :shrug:

I keep trying the new versions whenever one is released, but version 3 just feels wrong, even if it is technically richer in features - it's poorer in functionality.  (Yes, I'm aware that doesn't make much sense, but such are many of my opinions. :D)

And, weirdly with version 3, it almost seems as if the "free" version is the same as the pro... which struck me as an odd move for someone trying to sell something.  I'd be interested to see how the new TC integration actually works, but considering that TC itself just feels wrong, I'm snookered there too.  But, such is life.
BuBBy

Post by BuBBy »

IneedHelp wrote: This giveaway of the day is funny. They provide a zip with the same executable found on the listary site and an activator that retrieves a registration code which can be grabbed from the registry... they basically shared the latest version's pro license to everybody for free and forever.

Nikos should apply too :D
Firstly often the program is a custom build - the serial number doesn't work on future releases (unless the developer wanted it to), or the serial is valid only for a specific build of the application.

Lots of users feel that running "old versions" is like reading last months newspaper. People hate to be left behind when there is a newer and shinier version available (or that the newer version runs faster, crashes less, does more etc). That is the carrot that results in sales (why purchase the same version you have for free - except maybe to reinstall, or for tech support?)

Users obtain software through whatever means they can - hopefully guided by their own ethics and morals. Some purchase, some freeware, some via promotions and others just steal (or whatever word you choose that doesn't sound "too harsh"). There isn't a great deal you can do about the last lot - they will fight against supporting developers whichever avenue you select to promote your software.
IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp »

BuBBy wrote:Firstly often the program is a custom build - the serial number doesn't work on future releases (unless the developer wanted it to), or the serial is valid only for a specific build of the application.
Yeah, I got that, but now that the latest release with a pro license is virtually available to anyone forever, I find it hard to believe that the developer will add innovative features to the next releases, enough to determine users to step away from what they got. It will hit the warez sites in no time.
BuBBy wrote:Users obtain software through whatever means they can - hopefully guided by their own ethics and morals.
When users want to obtain software through whatever means they can, their own ethics and morals quickly reshape, allowing them to make no distinction between what's right and wrong.
BuBBy wrote:There isn't a great deal you can do about the last lot.
If the giveaway was approved by the developer, it's like he sold his soul to the devil for a bit of fame. Either way, like Kilmatead said, the difference between the free and pro version is so meaningless that it doesn't even matter which one you get.

Still, thank you for informing about this giveaway. I'm having it running next to QuickJump- both good applications to accompany x2.