Folders, Sorted by Type, Not Sub-Ordered by Name

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

hawleyal

Folders, Sorted by Type, Not Sub-Ordered by Name

Post by hawleyal »

I am using 2xExplorer Product Build: 1.4.1.12.

The folders are not always displayed in the correct order when you Sort them by Type.

What should happen is that the folders first appear at the top of the list and the files at the bottom. This always works correctly. However, sometimes the folders themselves are not in order with each other when they are Sorted By Type. They are all of the same type and therefore should appear in sub-order of Name (as with files of the same type). I am assuming that this is the way it is supposed to work, that when Sort By Type is selected, files and folders are first Sorted By Type, and then sub-ordered by Name.

I have inluded a link to a screenshot of what is going on. Mind you, this only occurs sometimes, not all the time. In the screenshot, the folders are Sorted By Type, but even though they are all the same type (<folder>), they have not been sub-ordered by Name. The following screenshot displays the problem when it occurs:

http://35.8.122.90/2x/foldersbad.gif

It appears in this screenshot that the folders are Sorted By Type, but they are not sub-ordered at all, not by Name or by Date Modified.

The next screenshot shows a situation in which this flaw did not occur:

http://35.8.122.90/2x/foldersgood.gif

In this screenshot, the folders are Sorted By Type, and then sub-ordered by Name. I think this is how it is always supposed to work.

If anyone could lend a hand figuring this out, or if it is just a bug in the program that occasionally rears its ugly head. Please let me know. Thanks.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

for 2x type is identical to extension
those folders that were "misplaced" had dots in their names so 2x took that for extension

the new x2 has a type column which does exactly what you want
hawleyal

Post by hawleyal »

Thank you for the clarification.

I see what you mean about the dots in the names of the folders. That problem was mystifying me for a long time. I'm glad I know now how to fix it.

Thanks.