Problem with viewing not plain-text files

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

alexagr

Problem with viewing not plain-text files

Post by alexagr »

On my WinXP Pro machine 2xExplorer eats up to 99% of CPU after trying to view any not plain-text file. This happens when I press F3 by mistake on almost any binary or JPEG or ZIP, for example. The program keeps running, but viewer is never opened and since than the process occupies 99% of CPU. The only solution is to close it and reopen.

BTW, I noticed that Editor2_UC behaves in a similar way too...

Any solution of overcome to this?
zippit
Silver Member
Silver Member

One step at a time

Post by zippit »

I don't have XP,but how did you determine 2xExplorer eats up to 99% of CPU
You cant be serious! Windows would crash long before that.
Is this a setup,trick ?
:roll:
War is Hell
Lest We Forget.
alexagr

Post by alexagr »

Well, I'm talking about CPU usage that Task Manager is reporting. The windows doesn't crash, of course, because OS scheduler is clever enough to cope even with an endless loop in specific process.

What's interesting is that the 2xExplorer continues to work, as I said, but viewer window for the specified file never opens. And the performance of 2xExplorer is significantly reduced. I would assume that one of it's threads makes some endless loop while the rest of the threads continue to function properly. Although I'm not familiar with 2xExplorer internals to verify this assumption.

I also tried opening some binary file in Editor2 and it hanged up. So assuming that internal viewer and Editor2 share a lot of common code, this could be indication of the same problem.

As I said in my previous mail, the only overcome that I found is to restart 2xExplorer, once the described scenario happened.
zippit
Silver Member
Silver Member

? then

Post by zippit »

How long have you had a computer ? You seemed to have missed the basics.
:P
War is Hell
Lest We Forget.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the viewer isn't hang, it's working hard to load the file, hence the high CPU usage. I suppose if you waited long enough, it would either show up or drain your system's resources and crash (or both :)) This cannot be helped

for the new xplorer2 i plan to have a different type of viewer which doesn't attempt to read the whole file in one go, only a little bit at a time so this won't happen
zippit
Silver Member
Silver Member

Details

Post by zippit »

nikos seems to have understood this better than i seem to.Is XP that much different in loading files ? I thought W3X Task Manager was replaced with the task bar.Give me an example of what you are trying to load,so i can compare with Wme.I have no trouble loading any of the described formats.
War is Hell
Lest We Forget.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

alexagr has problems loading large files, that's the main thing
alexagr

Post by alexagr »

nikos, you're right about large files - I tried small binary files and they are opened just fine.
if there just was an option of using external viewer as F3 default...
Ctrl-F3 is just not that intuitive...

P.S. 2 zippit - I'm working as a software engineer for the last 9 years. real-time software, mainly in the Telecom field. C/C++ for Windows, Solaris, Linux, VxWorks etc... so I beleive somebody else missed the basics :roll:
MKairys
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Details

Post by MKairys »

zippit wrote:I thought W3X Task Manager was replaced with the task bar.
With all due respect...what are you talking about?
zippit
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Details

Post by zippit »

MKairys wrote:
zippit wrote:I thought W3X Task Manager was replaced with the task bar.
With all due respect...what are you talking about?
==quoting:
Well, I'm talking about CPU usage that Task Manager is reporting
==
9 years ago when you where starting out,i had Windows 3 and it had a
"Task Manager"It was a folder on the desktop.remember ?
Just how large is this file ? Maybe then i'll understand.My 40 page pdf files don't take long or affect my cpu. :D
Just how large can a jpg get to be ? Theres more to this than what you do for a liveing i think.
War is Hell
Lest We Forget.
MKairys
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MKairys »

"Task Manager"It was a folder on the desktop.remember ?

Program Manager?
alexagr

Post by alexagr »

the files that I was talking about were ~500K - not too big nowadays.

regarding the OS evolution - don't look just on the GUI. winXP and win3x differ dramatically if you look on internals: preemptive vs. non-preemptive multitasking, memory protection, POSIX compliance (threads, sockets etc), security... in fact there is alsmost no common code in winXP and win3x (as you probably know winXP is from the NT branch)...

anyway - let's stop flaming around and just try to respect each other next time you see some post you don't understand...
zippit
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by zippit »

alexagr wrote:the files that I was talking about were ~500K - not too big nowadays.

regarding the OS evolution - don't look just on the GUI. winXP and win3x differ dramatically if you look on internals: preemptive vs. non-preemptive multitasking, memory protection, POSIX compliance (threads, sockets etc), security... in fact there is alsmost no common code in winXP and win3x (as you probably know winXP is from the NT branch)...

anyway - let's stop flaming around and just try to respect each other next time you see some post you don't understand...
I'm not flameing,whatever that means,just trying to help.
Why don't i have any of these problems ?
Viewing a jpg causes you problem,I can't beleive i read this. :P
See my post on exclusive XP then.If xp gives you all the peoblems i read about,boy i'll stick with Wme and fat32.
War is Hell
Lest We Forget.
MamiyaOtaru

Post by MamiyaOtaru »

task manager: what you get in windows NT/2k/XP when you press ctl-alt-del (or if using classic logon when you press ctl-shift-esc)

It shows all the running programs that can be shut down by normal means as well as all running processes. On another tab it shows the CPU load and memory usage.
As you can see, in the processes tab it shows how much of the CPU time each process is using.

I don't imagine he has problems viewing jpegs. The problem is when he tries to open a jpeg or other large file (or does so accidentally) in 2xexplorers built-in TEXT EDITOR.

Try it yourself. You say your 40 MB pdf doesn't cause problems. I believe it. Now highlight it in 2xExplorer and press f4 to open it in the built in text editor. You'll be waiting a while.

If you had XP, you could look at the task manager like in the pic up above and see that CPU usage for 2xexplorer.exe was at 99%, and no XP would not crash. It's a heck of a lot more stable than winME, but you might be better off sticking with what you have. BTW: it's a bad idea to assume someone is an idiot just because he is talking about things you don't understand.

Read more about the windows task manager (not the old 3.1 version) here: http://support.packardbell-europe.com/s ... 1.asp?c=ap
alexagr

Post by alexagr »

Just a small update about how LARGE should be the large file: I've tried opening some Excel file that is 350K (sorry - got no JPEG on my work's PC :) ) with an internal viewer (not editor!).
It took 30 seconds to open - while all that time 2xExplorer was taking 99% of CPU. I never tried to wait THAT LONG before - just assumed that it'll never come up and restarted 2xExplorer.
So yes - it's about long files, but we are talking about less than 500K here, and not about 40Mb.

By the way, the same problem occurs on WinXP Pro at home (AMD Duron 1300, 512Mb SDRAM) and at work (P4 2400, 256Mb DDRAM).

As I said in my previous mail, if there was an option to associate F3 with external viewer - it would be really helpful.[/i]