Importing customized settings

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

PatG

Importing customized settings

Post by PatG »

OK, here's another question about migration:

After reading the help file on page 227 about copying customized settings to another pc, couldn't find anything about copying from one platform to a different one.  I have a desktop and a laptop, both XP.  New computer will be desktop, WIN 7, w/the laptop staying w/the XP os.  

Will I have to manually redo ALL the settings on the new machine or will it be as simple as copying the x2settings.reg file into same?   :?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

PatG

Post by PatG »

Nikos, although your link doesn't specifically state transferring to a different platform on a different computer, am reading between the lines and taking that as a "yes I can" attitude.  Is this correct? FANTASTIC!  If so, that feature alone is well worth the price of the program.

Please confirm:  Having my present x2settings.reg file standing by, I then install a fresh copy on the new win7 computer, delete new reg file and export the settings file by clicking on the file from old computer into new one.  Please accept my specifics but being an old man, just want to get it right the first time.  I'm thanking you ahead of time for your reply.  :wink:
Old Patrick
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

@ delete -
Not quite.  There is no delete.  Rather copy the .reg file from the old computer to the new one and execute it on the new one, which will write the old settings to the registry on the new machine.

However, some settings may not be valid. Specifically history and bookmarks are likely to have some 'broken' entries due to folder paths being non-existent or different on the new machine.
PatG

Post by PatG »

@ delete:  The link specifically states:

Another precaution, especially for transferring settings to a different computer, is to first delete the old registry key information under HKCU\Software\ZabaraKatranemia Plc before you overwrite the information using the REG file.

Are you saying I don't have to do this step?  Or am I missing something?
Old Patrick
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Probably not for a new installation, but it wouldn't hurt.

As nikos states, it's a precaution.  ;)
vserghi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by vserghi »

If you look inside the exported reg file, you should see this line at the top;

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ZabaraKatranemia Plc\xplorer2_UC]

The second line removes the old reg key leaving the new keys below it to be installed. You could delete it manually but the export file does it for you.
Vas