bug or intended feature in xplorer2?

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

kev
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

bug or intended feature in xplorer2?

Post by kev »

Hi Nikos,

I love 2xexlporer and now xplorer2 even more! But I was wondering about something... When I wish to open a file in a pane which is inactive (or unselected) in xplorer2, double-clicking over the file icon fails to select and open that icon, but instead opens the last icon to be selected (or the first in the folder if none was previously selected). I appreciate it might be desirable to be able to select a pane that is filled with icons without selecting the icon under the pointer with a single click, but surely a double-click is unambiguously meant to open the file under the pointer?

Thanks for your help and all your great work.

Kev
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the problem isn't where you click
you've been bitten by the new "eat first click" feature when you activate a pane with the mouse
this is to protect the prior selection which would otherwise be wasted by the click
kev
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kev »

Like I said I can appreciate this might be a desirable feature for a single-click activation of the pane without losing the previously selected file, but unfortunately it "eats" more than the first click! If you want to open a different file than that previously selected you have to first do a single-click, then wait for the double-click delay period to elapse before you can double-click another file! This is a bit of a pain (or is that pane?) to say the least! How about keeping the "eat first click" functionality for only a single-click, but if a double-click is done, overriding this and opening the file under the pointer? This way you get the best of both worlds!
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

you can't defer the decision waiting for a d-click, it has to be made first time round

however i thought of a compromise:
x2 will check to see if there's a prior selection and will only eat the first click if there is one; otherwise it will act as it used to since there's nothing to protect

note that this protection "racket" is for all activation modes, not just single-click. Perhaps you can use [Tab] to cycle through panes and leave all the mouse-worries behind you
kev
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kev »

Sorry to post twice but I just had another thought... It doesn't really "eat" the first click, as it will still count it as the first click in a double-click. So another idea would be to completely eat the first click such that :

- a single click activates the pane with the previous file selection intact (as this feature intends) but is then forgotten

- a "double click" instead registers as a single click to activate the pane (which is then eaten) followed by another single click to select the file under the pointer

- a triple click(!) activates the pane with the first, selects the file under the pointer with the second, and with the third the file is opened!

What do you think?!
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

what about a quadruple click? :)
i'll have to check the docs for WM_MOUSEACTIVATE for any improvements...