Center click to add new tabs script

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

robcheese

Center click to add new tabs script

Post by robcheese »

Hi,

I wrote a script that lets you open tabs with the middle mouse button. You can centre click in the following places to open the item you clicked in a new tab
-Folder panes
-Pane headers
-Toolbars
-Bookmarks menu
-Mini Scrap

If you think this would be useful you can download it here: http://bit.ly/X2Tabs

Rob
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

I don't normally do this, but as this thread has fallen to the second page, I'm posting here purely in the interest of "bumping" it.  345 views and no responses is a most unfortunate state of affairs, given how often this "open tabs with middle-mouse" element has been requested by the larger populous in the last couple of years.

As I don't personally use tabs, this script has little to do with me, but I appreciate the effort that went into it, and having tested it, can confirm that it does what it says on the tin.  Were I one of the "legion of requesters" for this subject, I would point out that while the script isn't perfect (integrating control-specific scripts with external programmes isn't, unfortunately, an exact science) its heart is more than in the right place, and I find it a little odd that there have been 0 responses to your man's work, not so much as a "thanks", never mind constructive input.

Users who take matters into their own hands (instead of complaining about the lack of an option) to solve perceived shortcomings in x2 (or any application, for that matter) should be applauded, not allowed to fall into obscurity from neglect.

Thus, synecdoche-like, consider this "*bumped*".

(And thanks to robcheese for the contribution - if nothing else [speaking as the unaffected bystander], the dependencies script makes for interesting reading.)
TKC285

Post by TKC285 »

Thanks, robcheese, for the interesting script. It is very useful and just what I need. It works well for all of the items except the bookmarks.

The next step is to set a icon that can first starting the script, then toggle on/off  the function. It is better if it can be set to stop the script by Alt+ clik the icon.

I know how to set icon on tool bar using a user command to start the script.
I also know how to set icon the trig "Alt+Shift+S"

But I don't know how (or if it can be done) to combine the two function in a single icon. Can the icon be set to be "Alt / Ctrl / shift " clicked for different function?

Thanks,

TKC
robcheese

Post by robcheese »

Sorry for the late response. I didn't realize anyone had replied to this post. But I was on my bit.ly account and noticed that the number of download for this script had miraculously doubled. So thanks Kilmatead for the bump!!  :D Also I'm glad to hear you found my dependencies script interesting.

@TKC285 - I fixed the issue with the bookmarks menu that you mentioned so try downloading it again. I don't think I understand your other suggestion. Could you explain it in more detail?
TKC285

Post by TKC285 »

Hello, robcheese,
    The new script works fine for the bookmarks.

Another problem is: After starting the script , it keeps running even after the X2 is stopped. Is it possible to automatic stop it as exiting the X2?

The other idea is to create a icon in the toolbar, click the icon instead of using keyboard. For example, create a icon  for "Alt+Shift+S" that can toggle the script function. (see the Appendices 9 of the user manual)

Three icons need for all of the functions of the script. (one for start it , one for stop it -  "Alt+Shift+Q" and one for the toggle the function "Alt+Shift+S"). I just wonder if anybody know how to use a single icon to do all of these. First click start the script, following clicks toggle on/off, and Alt or Ctrl click stop it. It will make the life much easy. :D

Thanks,

TKC
robcheese

Post by robcheese »

The script shouldn't interfere with any other programs and it shouldn't ever take up a noticeable amount of system resources so I prefer to just put it in my startup folder and leave it running all the time. That way I don't have to think about starting and stopping it when I run xplorer.

Also I'm not sure if its possible to handle the left click event on the task bar icon in AHK so sorry but your on your own with this one.
N1ck1

Re: Center click to add new tabs script

Post by N1ck1 »

I'm sorry for bringing back up such an old and dead thread, but I'm desperate...
The middle mouse button for opening new tabs from any/all locations is the one thing missing for me to have an absolute perfect experience with xplorer².
I've extensively searched the forum and learned the whole history and changes that were made long ago. I understand the debate on this has long been settled. I'm just here asking, requesting, and pleading if anyone anywhere somehow still has this script to please post it and share it.
Does anyone out there still happen to have this script? If you're not sure you have it or think you might, would you please run a Find files search for anything "X2Tabs" and "X2 Tabs" on your computer/drives? I'm sorry for the hassle but I really am desperate for it. If anyone could come through with this it would be amazing and truly appreciated, thank you so much even if you try looking for me. I'm hoping for a Xmas miracle, fingers crossed! TY!
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

I don't have this script, but the good news is that a middle-click on the folder TREE will still open a new tab
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

try this to open a new tab on middle mouse button click in x2 file pane

Code: Select all

#InstallKeybdHook

; modifier keys: ^ Ctrl, ! Alt, + Shift, # Windows

; open middle clicked item in new tab (in x2 file pane)
#IfWinActive, ahk_class ATL:ExplorerFrame
MButton::Send {Click}^{Insert}
#IfWinActive
I added it to the AHK script I have running in the background to test it.
You will need to install AutoHotkey to use it.

Unlike the original script this will only work in an x2 file pane.
It is just capturing the MMB and sending a LMB click (to select the middle clicked item) and Ctrl-Insert (to open the selected item in a new tab)
if you prefer selecting multiple folders and opening all in separate tabs remove the {Click}, but then it will open whatever is focused or selected rather than what is middle clicked
N1ck1

Post by N1ck1 »

Thank you very much for providing the script and for trying to help me out, I appreciate it!

Since I'm almost done I will say after not having any luck finding the original script I looked into learning AutoHotkey myself and was able to actually recreate the script on my own after much trial and error. I got the script to do everything that's featured in the original post and more. It went from a tabs script to a mouse script that automates many different actions with different mouse button combos, like closing tabs, reopening tabs, closing all tabs, activating a quick search, changing filter box modes, clearing visual filters, dual actions on toolbar buttons, and more. I plan to release it here on the forum when I'm done which should be soon. But I can happily say my X2 experience is now perfect!
pj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pj »

Care to share?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

sharing is caring :)
N1ck1

Post by N1ck1 »

Yes I will share! Even though the script is done for my personal needs, I'm adding in everything I can possibly think of for others which will take some more time; Not too much longer though, days probably.
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

N1ck1 wrote: 2023 Jan 31, 14:13 Yes I will share! Even though the script is done for my personal needs, I'm adding in everything I can possibly think of for others which will take some more time; Not too much longer though, days probably.
Sweet! Thank you!