floating panes in the new beta

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

WimdeLange
Gold Member
Gold Member

floating panes in the new beta

Post by WimdeLange »

While I was playing with the floating panes, I noticed that they are always on top of xplorer2. Not always practical when you have a small screen. I tried to use Ctrl-F6 to switch to a floating pane (windows shortcut when you have multiple windows in an application), but that was a bad idea.
Like the floating panes, but they are not subwindows, so the behaviour is not standard, or what I expect of them.

Can you explain what the motivation is for this behaviour? If I understand I could accept it.
Groetjes,
  Wim de Lange
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

floating panes are always on top, they are not like normal windows. I would never use them! Perhaps it would be more convenient for you to have them alpha-transparent?
WimdeLange
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WimdeLange »

nikos wrote:floating panes are always on top, they are not like normal windows. I would never use them! Perhaps it would be more convenient for you to have them alpha-transparent?
ok, I can live with that. Just trying to see what your opinion on this was.

I don't often use alpha-transparent. I had never any use of that. So no meaning there. Most of the time if it is available, I leave it at 100%.

Just realised that the floating pane is easily removed and put back by using the correct shortcut (Ctrl-T and Ctrl-Q are the most important ones). So no real issue if I use that.
Groetjes,
  Wim de Lange
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: floating panes in the new beta

Post by Kilmatead »

WimdeLange wrote:...but they are not subwindows, so the behaviour is not standard, or what I expect of them.
As you say these are not sub-windows (like Scrap containers) which have their own taskbar buttons, and thus independent focus control - these are child-windows which when the parent-application has focus they themselves should also be activated.

The "floating" part is most useful on multi-monitor setups, where they automatically snap to life when x2 itself has focus (regardless of their position or what else on that monitor might be currently displayed), and lose it when x2 does, as is standard behaviour for child windows.  For smaller monitors, the "floating" aspect would be less practical, and thus I suspect docking is the main purpose there.

They can always be toggled via toolbar buttons or shortcuts as you discovered anyway.

Alpha-Transparency is just evil. :D