Moderator: Site Mods

profess
Silver Member
Silver Member

startup profiles

Post by profess »

hey,

i was wondering if anyone could help.

on gf's pc, i'm using windows 7. every time i log in, i stop all the crap that came with the pc that loads on startup (hp software, printer software, bluetooth etc). i use a program called killprocess which can kill a list of programs. it's been working okay, but it's not perfect.

basically is there a way (on boot sequence?) to have a different startup profile? so basically I would be logging into the same user potentially, but without loading all the crap. or a program that can help?  

maybe it would ask after typing in password.

thanks for time and input.

i don't want to set up another user and potentially disable/harm the startup process of this user account. but if that's the way please let me know also.

windows 7 x64

---

regards,

osei (profess)
Live life...
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

The basic built in System Configuration manager (open the Start menu and type 'System' or 'msconfig') works on a per-profile basis, doesn't it?  This is the traditional method of raining down death upon the usurpers.  All 3rd-party applications show up on the Startup tab (also the Services tab can immediately identify non-MS services which can be disabled at will).  It's far simpler to just stop things starting in the first place rather than killing them once the horses have left the gate.

There's also the Vista Services Optimizer which (despite the name) fully supports Windows 7, and can organise processes via independent profiles.  Personally I found it a little too "hand-holding" for my taste, but it does provide a convenient means of resetting everything to stock in case you get carried away turning things on and off but then suffer morning-after-regret having forgotten everything you messed with.

Personally, I suggest the first option - it's built in, simple, and seems to cover your needs. :shrug:
profess
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by profess »

Hi Kilmatead,

Thanks for taking the time to answer. :)

The msconfig method appears to be slightly permanent, and what I am looking for is on loading to use a startup list of programs and services to load and, for example, if no option chosen / default option to go to its normal bloated self.

so ideally that would be what i'm looking at.

--

just been reading and seen a suggestion to create a dual boot, with the same os, different partition etc. seems a bit long-winded for something so simple if you get my drift...

regards
Live life...
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

in the old days you would just have to tweak autoexec.bat but nowadays...
profess
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by profess »

Yes I guess. But on something so simple it would seem.

It would need to kick in just before the logon screen maybe.

A solution exists I'm certain.

OK now I know everything starts up, but maybe a good script o etc to kill em is what I need, some services and processes.
Live life...
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

profess wrote:...now I know everything starts up, but maybe a good script to kill em is what I need...
I'd probably take the opposite approach - instead of killing that which has already gone through the trouble of starting (never mind working into consideration the possibility of "Delayed Start" services settings which may not yet actually exist for you to kill), I'd use msconfig to disable everything I didn't want so I could start with a known clean slate - then upon login it runs a script which utilises the NET START commands to kickstart only those things you want, also adding in Startup contents.

Now, as you (for some reason) don't want this to be semi-permanent, you'd need a GUI to give you a "choice" as to what you wanted started... either via a list with checkboxes or some type of previously collated lists turned into pseudo-profiles which you then choose from, only containing subsets of services/applications you want - which would then be started.

You can have great fun scheduling things via task-manager - possibly before logon as well, though I'm unsure of the usefulness of that - as it wouldn't catch the stuff allocated to individual account startups.

What's to simply prevent you from creating multiple accounts (each with different msconfig settings) whose programme folders, documents, blah, blah, are all shared betwixt them?  Or do msconfig settings affect the whole computer, and not just individual accounts?  (I don't use multiple accounts, so I have no idea.)
Originally profess wrote:i use a program called killprocess which can kill a list of programs. it's been working okay, but it's not perfect
Just out of interest, what isn't "perfect" about how you do it now?  Lack of realtime choices?

And are you sure the Vista Services Optimizer I linked to earlier doesn't do what you want via its custom profiles facility?  I thought it dealt with handling 3rd-party processes/services as well, not just Windows.
profess
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by profess »

Hey Kilmatead, thanks.

Originally I was looking for a way to kill the programs before they're started. It seems more logical.

I'll have a look at Vista Optimiz(s)er when I'm back at the PC. I'll give it a run through and see if it can help.

I 'think' msconfig stuff is system wide, I dunno. Can't be bothered to try it out. (I used to experiment with everything. I can't be bothered in my old(er) age - can't it just 'work'?)

Killprocess. You add programs to a kill list, which is saved, and tick processes in the list of files which are running. It would kill the specified files. My problem is I would run through the task, but there'd be like 6 programs it didn't kill. I'd manually go around with process explorer killing the leftovers and some services. All together it's just fiddly. It is in Administrator mode.  

--

I understand Startup programs. I use CodeStuff Starter which was really good. Maybe I'll have a look at WinPatrol again as it had some startup application, delayed start etc. I've used autoruns before also.  

--

Net Start I'll take a look at...  

--

But overall I just want something that says a) run normal startup, b) use alternative startup.

Thanks for help thus far. Any more ideas appreciated.

Osei
Live life...
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

profess wrote:I used to experiment with everything. I can't be bothered in my old(er) age.
Fight it.

They'll try to break your spirit.
  • They'll succeed.
Fight them again.

They'll try to use Reason to convince you to stop fighting them.
  • They'll succeed.
It's a losing battle.

I have lost many times.

So, like Nietzsche, do it without Hope.

Without Expectation.

Fatigue is a greater weapon than Fear.

Even for the young.

Fatigue always wins.  That's why they use it.
  • So fight them anyway.
Just to show that Free Will and Pain are the same thing.
  • They'll succeed in the end.
But at least you can say that you broke your own spirit by trying.
  • And they can't take the credit.
You can say you caused your own Pain.
  • And they can't take the credit for that, either.
So lose with a spiteful smile on your face.
  • No one will ever even try to take that away from you.
profess wrote:Any more ideas appreciated.
I know none of this could be considered a practical idea.
  • But it's Sunday.
And what good is a Sunday
  • on the x2 forums
without off-topic suggestions? :wink:

You ever have one of those days
  • where everything just seems to go wrong?
You can't blame it on Fate or a screwed up Deterministic deity.
  • Though that would be nice.
It's just one of those things.

Like Rain.
  • A pleasant inevitability.
And I hate inevitabilities.
  • Especially the pleasant ones. :D