Wanted: filename with extension to be visible with thumbnail

Support for xplorer² free lite version

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

ericdormer62@yahoo.com

Wanted: filename with extension to be visible with thumbnail

Post by ericdormer62@yahoo.com »

Hello Nikos,

My compliments on a great tool.  

My comments below apply to the most recent version of xplorer2 pro, and xplorer2_lite. I am running both on a windows 7 64 bit machine.

-----------------------------------

I observe that when viewing thumnails of images, the filename is shown below the thumbnail image, but not the filename extension.

I searched and searched and could not find a way to turn on file extension display.  (If there is an easy way and I just missed it, then I invite anyone to feel free to let me know how...)

If the display of the filename included the extension, this would be very useful.

(In my case I use thumbnail view to search for images in a large directory for a website I work on.   It matters to me if they are png, jpg, or gif images, but in thumbnail view, this extension is not shown on my machine currently).

-----------------

As a more general feature request, it seems to me in thumbnail view it would be useful to allow a user to select which FIELDs he wants to display in the text field below the image.

In my case, I could enable display of the filename , extension, and perhaps filesize.

Then the displayed text information below the thumbnail would be:

filename.ext size:13567

I hope you get the idea.

Cheers,
 Eric
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

The filename extensions obey whatever setting you have ticked in the Windows Explorer Tools -> Folder Options -> View menu (as in "Hide extensions of known file types" - you probably have that one active, so deactivate it).  Same with Show Hidden System files.  All other settings would be controlled from within the x2 settings menus.

As for displaying the size of any given file, this can't be added to thumbnail view directly, however the Pro version allows for configurable "Info Bars" at the bottom of each pane which will display information from any given columns you choose for a focused/selected file (particularly useful for thumbnail view as you might guess).
ericdormer62@yahoo.com

Thanks.

Post by ericdormer62@yahoo.com »

That should do it, Thanks!