Network folder file sizes not right?

Support for xplorer² free lite version

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

epack

Network folder file sizes not right?

Post by epack »

1.8.1.4 Lite on newish Win7 Pro SP1 box.

If I open one of my network shares, I'm not seeing the correct sizes for my files, they all say "4,096", even tho properties shows them accurately. File sizes for files on the local HD are correct. I have File Sizes reported in bytes checked.

My sense is that this is new behavior, as it always showed it correctly in the past, but I'm not sure what would have changed. I'm pretty sure my settings are correct, but I do note that "text viewer size" under Quick Viewer shows 4096, and when I removed it, in hopes it would default to nothing, in effect, all the file sizes changed to 0.

BUT. What's interesting (and I just this minute noticed this) is that my network shares that have windows server 2008 DO show the correct byte counts, but a windows server 2003 install does not.

Is it possible those older servers were always like this but I never noticed since they are not servers I regularly use? Dunno!

TIA

elaine
charlottesville, va
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

Hi elaine

xplorer2 is reporting whatever windows explorer tells it about the sizes. Did you try the same remote files with windows explorer?
epack

Post by epack »

I did, nikos, and it shows the files normally in details view. I can see the exact sizes, well, in KBs.

However, I did figger out what the issue was. When I'd added the share to my network places, it apparently stored as an "http" value, so when I brought it up in xplorer, it shows as http://intranet2/whatever. I changed it to the correct network name, ie, \\servername\intranet2\whatever, the files all show with actual values as they should do.

All is well now! And sorry for the confusion :)

elaine
charlottesville, va